Head light issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head light issues

Went to go for a night ride last night, started it and the lights did not come on for a second, then lights come on thinking this is not good at night I hung close to home. Noticed the head light dimmed a few times just slightly. I was thinking old fuse box then the lights went out 4 blocks from home, I hit the high beam and the low beam came on and the light in the dash indicates beam failure, oh so it's the head light, no cars around so I hit the high/low beam a couple times and everything went back to normal.
    I'll check the fuse block ( order a new style ) and the wires in the head light bucket.

Any other ideas ? Relay, charging ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

There are a couple items in that circuit. One is the relay that only lets the light come on when the charging system is putting out voltage. The other is the RLU which is a monitoring unit to detect if your low beam goes out and automatically switch to the high beam and light the indicator.

My best guess is your high low beam switch needs cleaning and or has a loose wire in there. However, it could also be the RLU is acting up. It can be bypassed. I think there is a tech tip on how, you jump two wires together, the blue black and the blue yellow.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Before you blame the RLU, make sure all your connections are good. Poor connections is a very common issue on these. The headlight relay is a 'latching' type that closes upon power being applied and won't open until power is fully removed (bike shut off) so I doubt that's your problem.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        Before you blame the RLU, make sure all your connections are good. Poor connections is a very common issue on these. The headlight relay is a 'latching' type that closes upon power being applied and won't open until power is fully removed (bike shut off) so I doubt that's your problem.
        +1 on that, also if that relay was bad, then you'd lose your dash lights too.

Sounds like a high resistance connection at the fuse supplying the headlight/dash lights.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
          +1 on that, also if that relay was bad, then you'd lose your dash lights too.

Sounds like a high resistance connection at the fuse supplying the headlight/dash lights.
          Thanks Guys ! THE DASH LIGHTS DID GO OUT TOO ?
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

so just my two cents and I by no means know anything but check the fuse box to make sure its clean and the connections to the headlight. I know mine did that and I found out that the metal cliip that holds the fuse it was a little worn out and having issues holding the fuse. again just my opinion.
            79 SF

Wow, did I just give advice? should I be doing that?

1983 GL1100 bored to a 1300 sold
            1976cb750 project gifted to brother
            1979 xs1100s currently working on

Wanting to have that head turner that makes people shut up!

Comment

head light

Well just started the bike and no lights, dash or head light.
              I have turn signals, flasher and tail light but no dash or head light high or low.
              Checked the fuses seem good, checked the volts and at 3K measure 14.5.
              Next onto the handle bar switch. If this is good where is the relay ?
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

First, make sure you check the wire leaving the fuse box, not the end of the fuse for power. The fuse may be conducting it to the connector, but the connector may not be transferring the power to the wire.

The headlight relay is up by the coils, under the gas tank. If your losing power to the lights in the dash, then it is before it gets to the dimmer switch on the left handlebar. That only controls the headlight.

Power goes to the headlight fuse, then the red/yellow goes to the headlight relay. The Blue/Black wire leaves the relay to go to the RLU, and to the dash lights. The power goes through the RLU to get to the dimmer switch.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

relay

Found the relay under the tank in the frame took it apart sanded the contacts, seems someone was there before. No luck still no headlight or dash lights ? ? ?

Thanks Don !!!!!
                  Last edited by donebysunday; 07-02-2013, 08:10 PM. Reason: thank you
                  76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Your welcome Done!

Turn the key on and check for 12-14V at the red/yellow wire of the harness side of the relay connector. If it is there, then you can jump the red/yellow and the blue/black wires in the harness side of the relay connector and see if the headlight comes on. You can try this with the key on and the tank off, your bypassing the relay so the engine does not need to be on for the headlight to function. You should definitely at least get dash lights then.

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

You can unplug the headlight relay and bypass it by jumping the red/yel and blu/blk wires, see if the headlight comes on with the key in the on position.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

If it helps any, I drew up this simplified diagram of the headlight circuit. I skipped the RLU stuff except the main power components.

I used both colors for the two color wires..red/yellow, blue/black, and blue/yellow.

Note the wires to the dashlights are just blue no black in them.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Your welcome Done!

Turn the key on and check for 12-14V at the red/yellow wire of the harness side of the relay connector. If it is there, then you can jump the red/yellow and the blue/black wires in the harness side of the relay connector and see if the headlight comes on. You can try this with the key on and the tank off, your bypassing the relay so the engine does not need to be on for the headlight to function. You should definitely at least get dash lights then.
                          Thank You Don and ALL trying to help me !!!!!

Checked the voltage at the batt. 12.65, engine running at 3K 14.50, Checked at the R/Y and 11.65.

Jumped the R/Y to the BL/BLACK and I have head light and dash lights, HI and LO beam.
                          So I could just leave these jumped and go but I'd like to resolve what the real culprit is !

(It always bugged me that the head light would come on and if the bike did not start the head light stayed on, so I'd switch off the key to kill the head light and try starting again continue this on/off ign. until it started.) Awe but this is for another post.

I'm thinking check the relay with the cover off to see if it's getting the power from the alt/gen. ?
                          OK the relay closes when the bike starts so it's getting the power from the alt/gen..
                          Funny thing as soon as the engine stops the relay opens back up again even with the key left on. At this point the engine will only run in the choke pos. as the fuel level is low in the carbs, just flip off the choke and engine stops.
                          Still the relay does not activate any lights. So I'm thinking bad relay ? ? ?
                          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                          80 XS650 G Special II
                          80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Based upon the fact you have 12 volts at the red/yellow, and jumping that to the blue/black gives you fill functioning headlight and dash lights, yes you have a bad relay.

Since it is a latching type relay, it stays closed once it closes until it loses power to the both sides. Meaning, under normal operation, once the headlight comes on, it will stay on until you turn the key switch off, or you pull the fuse to the headlight to kill the power to that red/yellow wire.

Once it is open again, it will not close until it gets power to the white wire of the relay, which happens when the alternator puts out power, then engine is running.

You could simply leave the jumper in place between the red/yellow and blue/black wires (in a "permanent" manner with some protective covering), or you can replace the relay. The reason for the relay is to take that headlight load off your battery when it is starting the engine.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                              Since it is a latching type relay, it stays closed once it closes until it loses power to the both sides. Meaning, under normal operation, once the headlight comes on, it will stay on until you turn the key switch off, or you pull the fuse to the headlight to kill the power to that red/yellow wire.

Once it is open again, it will not close until it gets power to the white wire of the relay, which happens when the alternator puts out power, then engine is running.
                              +1 agree that's how the Yamaha relay works.
                              This assuming of course that the relay he has is the stock relay and not some off the shelf automotive relay. Which would turn off/open once power goes away.

Edit: of course the 78/79 relay is different than the 80/81 relay.
                              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                              The Green Monster
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                              Got him in '04.
                              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                              Scarlet
                              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                              Hugo
                              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
                              X