Wet Weather Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Weather Symptoms

so, got going on my bike (while raining). Nothing seemed wrong till about two miles up the highway and she seemed to bog in low gear. I was on E, so put it on reserve. Not any change, but it was only bogging in first gear when I started from a stop. Pulled over in a gas station and filled her up. Symptom was still there. The funny thing is, it revved fine in neutral. Put in gear and tried taking off, and it bogged down and stallee. So, upped the revs and took off. Got home, and it ran fine; no bogging.

wet pickup coil wires? all four headers sizzled, so I know all four were firing.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Yep, sounds like coils getting wet and acting up. I have similar symptoms after washing my bike. It might idle fine and rev fine in neutral but start to apply load one coil drops out. Doesnt seem to do it in the rain though, only after giving a bath. Reach down and give the spark plug wires a little bump to see if it changes anything... let it idle and the heat from the engine should dry it out. If it comes back after drying out then its likely the cause.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Could also be a cracked coil, crack in plug wire insulation, any place moisture can get into the ignition circuit.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Start feeling around while its running and it will "speak to you". An easier way to check for arching is at night let the bike idle and mist some water over the wires and look for fireworks.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I've been fighting that issue for years and still haven't nailed it down. I've coated the coils with spray on plasi-dip but I haven't gotten the bike wet yet to see if it helped.

Went though parts of Georgia and Tennessee in the rain coming back from XS southeast on 3 cyls. Irritating to say the least.
          Last edited by BA80; 07-02-2013, 06:32 AM.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

neutral switch shorting when wet?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I took the wiring down there out and double wrapped it and then covered it with plastic sheathing and wrapped it again. It misses ALL the time when it's wet, not just in gear. But, that might be Ians problem by his description.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I would lean to the neutral wire as well.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

rained on or washed

Mine does that too. Like its missing big time I can still drive it but chug chug chug no power at all, half throttle to start from a stop
                  Bike History:1980 XS 1100 special current bike
                  1980 XS 850 special wife sold

Comment

Mine acted up a couple of years ago when riding with some old friends i haven't seen since high school after riding in a downpour.The bike didn't stall but acted like it was going to.It cleared up on its own.When i got home i put some dielectric grease around the spark plug caps and headed back out into the rain.The bike was fine after applying the grease.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    xschop K & N air filter setup
                    Dynojet Recalibration kit
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Working...
                    X