Bent handle bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bent handle bars

I did not get the kick stand down all the way and the bike started to tip. I tried to to hold it but ended up bending the left side of the handle bars some. I I tried to bend it back some but they are still not equal. Should I just replace them or can I get a pipe and bend that side back into place. I worry about the bend near the clamp would get weak?
    79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Personnaly, I would bend it back with a pipe. Check closely for wrinkled/spalled chrome as it could indicate metal fatigue. I don't put much of my weight onto the bars, YMMV.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Based on what new bars cost, I'd probably replace it. It also depends upon how far it's bent. If you must have stock standard bars, there are plenty on eBay.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I've bent a set back before. I would agree with Skids, look at the metal / chrome for any signs of crinkling of the chrome, or stretching of the metal. If you see that, I would suggest replacing them. I got a set for about $35 before.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

[QUOTE=virstens;413705 - - - I tried to bend it back some but they are still not equal. Should I just replace them or can I get a pipe and bend that side back into place. I worry about the bend near the clamp would get weak?[/QUOTE]

Hi virstens,
          those bars were formed from a straight tube in the first place so I don't see a gentle post-trauma adjustment weakening them.
          My problem has always been getting the bent side back to exactly match the good side.
          So bend the bar back so it's rideable and pick up a replacement at your local swap meet.
          Every swap meet I've ever been to had at least one table selling used bars at $20 or $25 each.
          Watch for Harley bars although it's easy to see their 1" diameter.
          Take a caliper to check the 7/8" bars though.
          There's a chance it may be a BMW bar.
          Those are 22mm diameter instead of 7/8" (22.2mm) and will slip round in the clamps.
          Last edited by fredintoon; 07-01-2013, 10:36 AM.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X