Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusted clutch cable, now no neutral light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusted clutch cable, now no neutral light?

Light was fine on the way to the gas station, but I noticed my gears were tough to engage at the gas pump before I turned the bike off, and had trouble finding neutral. The light would not come on either when I finally did find it. After I gassed up, I spun the adjusting wheel on the clutch lever for an 1/8" gap. It was way too wide at a good 1/4" plus, thus the tough gear engagement. My neutral light has stopped working though. Any thoughts on this? I didn't wash the bike, all seemed ok when I started it to leave for the gas station, now no light.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Is the wire still hooked up to the sending unit? The sending unit is near the shifter on the bottom of the case.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Both could be the reasons...go back and adjust your clutch cable per instructions, make sure you're not too tight
      the neutral light(and sensor) is just a ground to the frame, so washing the bike might had something to do with that (I guess)
      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

The bulb probably just went fruit. Unhook the wire from the switch and ground it with the key on and see if it comes on.

Or just run a ground to where the wire hooks up and ground it. that would be easier.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          Is the wire still hooked up to the sending unit? The sending unit is near the shifter on the bottom of the case.
          Yep, hasn't been touched. I looked at it and it's all solid. Just for good luck I silicone sealed the wire where it joins the wiring harness down there.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
            Both could be the reasons...go back and adjust your clutch cable per instructions, make sure you're not too tight
            the neutral light(and sensor) is just a ground to the frame, so washing the bike might had something to do with that (I guess)
            Didn't wash it, it just stopped all of a sudden when the clutch became difficult to use.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
              The bulb probably just went fruit. Unhook the wire from the switch and ground it with the key on and see if it comes on.

Or just run a ground to where the wire hooks up and ground it. that would be easier.
              So just take a wire and touch it between the engine case and the connection on the switch?

Comment

So how does this switch "ground" when you're in neutral? What is activating it, something inside the tranny?

Comment

The clutch has NOTHING to do with the neutral light switch. It is a ground switch that is applied by a ground switch controlled by the shift drum.
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The clutch has NOTHING to do with the neutral light switch. It is a ground switch that is applied by a ground switch controlled by the shift drum.
                    Awesome, thanks BA, the DRUM is controlling the switch. Hmmm, first I'll check if the bulb is blown, then if not, I'm kinda worrying about what those few hard shifts (me pushing down a little harder than normal on the shifter) might have done to the shift drum and fingers etc etc........

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                      Awesome, thanks BA, the DRUM is controlling the switch. Hmmm, first I'll check if the bulb is blown, then if not, I'm kinda worrying about what those few hard shifts (me pushing down a little harder than normal on the shifter) might have done to the shift drum and fingers etc etc........
                      The shift forks and drum are pretty damn hard to damage. I've seen import cars with weaker transmissions than these bikes have.

Most likely just a switch or a bulb .
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The shift forks and drum are pretty damn hard to damage. I've seen import cars with weaker transmissions than these bikes have.

Most likely just a switch or a bulb .
                        OK thanks, funny it would choose to go right then.......

Comment

Working...
                        X