Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns, Oh my!!

Originally posted by sparkfly88 View Post
    Just curious, one of my main hobbies is preservation of military weapons, and when I see someone totally modify and "improve" a historically significant weapon, turning it from a 1000$ collectable, to a 100$ truck gun... It bothers the heck outta me.

Heh-heh, you would LOVE to see some of the toys I have. I agree, when I see some moron threading the end of a garand barrel for a flash hider, I wanna slap em silly, or how about modifying the stock by whittling it down? Up here in Canada 1000's of mint Lee-Enfields were cut down for sporters. Now there is a shortage of era-correct LE's .
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Mods

Minor mods (things that improve the bikes overall performance) is an ok thing. I am talking about better brake pads, coils, fuse boxes, etc. A bobber or rat bike - not for me. The XS11s (just like the guns) will always be worth more if they are stock or as close to stock as possible.

Guys are always going to change things just because they can. But when it comes to classics of any kind all you have to do is watch an auction on TV and see what brings the most money - unrestored original (most money), restored original (less money), restomod (least money). You may have seen some of the original low mileage (unrestored) XS1100s in the past go for the "big bucks".

A stock, well cared for XS1100 is an investment that will eventually bring a return on your money whereas an XS1100 bobber/rat bike may not.

It is unfortunate (but true) that some of the XS1100s are basket cases. Making one into a bobber is likely doing it a favor.

MP
      Last edited by MPittma100; 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM.
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I have an app called instagram.

Not sure how many are phone savy.

But if you search for xs1100 in the tags, what you get is a wide assortment of chopped up bobbed bikes.... Idk Why they are still called xs1100 when the only thing original is the engine.
        Hey Sparkfly,

Right there....you're using technology(smart phone and instagram), things that Generation Y+'s are using. A lot of the folks who are getting these bikes AND are on Instagram I would bet are 30 y/o or younger, and so they don't have the same sentiments towards these venerable old machines!

I am 55 y/o, have a semi-smart phone, but rarely use it for more than a PHONE! I'm registered on Facebook, but rarely go there or update my status, etc..! I remember these bikes when they were NEW....I got my 81 in 83. I appreciate OEM bikes. However, my bike developed serious mechanical problems, sat for decade+ corroded/rotted, and due to financial limitations, had to get it back together as best I could.

I'm also a 1 percenter....my height is only 1 % of the male population in the USA, so I modded my rebuild to better fit me and my physique. And I've modded many aspects both in trying to get better or newer functionality out of it, while still being able to ride it...which I do.

So....I salute those that can do a pristine RESTORE to a bike, but can also understand either the needs or desires to mod one to make it custom for that particular rider. We often talk about how we like that our bikes are rather unique vs. the cookie cutter v-twin cruisers or crotch rockets. And the customizing them just makes them even more unique.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Unfortunately when I bought my XS the tail was already hacked. However I had the pieces they cut off.. Lol. I welded them back on and trying to make it rideable, I am definitely not on for stock in most cases, but it wasn't a hard decision on this one, I usually do low rider trucks, tricked out imports, or chopped bikes..... But something about the XS that I just love.... It will be a rat bike for just a bit until I can find the parts and money needed to make it right. I currently have BMW fog lights for my head lights and they look really cool so I may leave that as the only real mod.
          80 XS11
          Still a jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

Just curious, one of my main hobbies is preservation of military weapons, and when I see someone totally modify and "improve" a historically significant weapon, turning it from a 1000$ collectable, to a 100$ truck gun... It bothers the heck outta me. - - -
            Hi Sparkfly,
            collectable firearms ain't for shooting ducks with, Mr Mossburg makes a gun for that.
            So if you want an XS11 to display in a museum you gotta keep it stock.
            But if you want to ride the thing you gotta do whatever's needful.
            Yes, change the ergonomically perverted stock bars.
            By all means upgrade to stainless steel wire braided brake lines and modern tires.
            If it's wrecked and you can't find the right parts, fit whatever parts look close so long as they work.
            BUT
            If it's got rear suspension, leave it there! Rear suspension is the best innovation since the front brake.
            But circumstances affect even that.
            Guy showed me photos of his XS650 hardtail.
            "Why you do that, you effin' Vandal?"
            "Bike had it's back end crushed under a truck.
            Didn't have the money to buy a replacement frame & swingarm
            Did have some steel tube, a Harley rear wheel and a welding machine."
            "Nice bike."
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
            X