No announcement yet.

Shock length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The adjustment on the bottom of the shocks does not adjust the height. It is a preload adjustment only. It takes up the initial spring compression only.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Shocks

My 79 Special is around the 12 5/8 as mentioned.
      I have ducks disease so will settle for 12 1/2.
      I bought a new set made in Taiwan that were cheap. Could not bring myself to pay one third the value of the bike for a new fancy set.
      Unkle Crusty

Comment

Ok, I took them off to switch to the ones off of the 750. The 750 shocks are a little smaller in diameter but much stronger. The shocks I took off of the 1100 have a dial in the top on the back side. The way they were mounted, you would have to take them off to adjust the dial. Here are some pics. The shocks are the 12 5/8 while off the bike but drop to 11 1/4 when on bike. The 750 shocks stay the same, they don't droop. I am getting ready to try them out. I hope the smaller diameter is ok for now, I am going to get a set off of andreas soon.

Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

I did some research on shocks just recently. Most of what are considered good shocks cost $1K or more! That is ridiculous money to spend on one of these bikes and the overwhelming majority of us won't do it for obvious reasons. On the other end of the spectrum you can buy a new pair of shocks for about $80. This will have generic spring rates and so-so damping, but they will keep your rear tire pasted to the pavement and that is what is most important.

In the middle ($200-$300) are decent shocks with custom spring rates and designed to fit your motorcycle. These will generally not be rebuildable shocks. Progressive and Hagon are brands that come to mind in this price range.

There are also alternatives in the high end rebuildable category. Companies like YSS make high performance shocks at reduced prices. For someone trying to get everything they can out of and old bike, this could prove the best choice. These will offer custom spring rates, and usually custom damping and rebound rates.

There is also the used market. High price point motorcycles often come equipped with decent shocks. Low price point bikes often don't. Newer and less used is better here.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Hey marty, do you think I will be ok to ride my bike with those 750 shocks on there with the smaller diameter? I have them on there but haven't ridden yet. Also, I don't think these were the stock shocks are they? They have that dial on them in the pick. thanks
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
              Ok, I took them off to switch to the ones off of the 750. The 750 shocks are a little smaller in diameter but much stronger. The shocks I took off of the 1100 have a dial in the top on the back side. The way they were mounted, you would have to take them off to adjust the dial. Here are some pics. The shocks are the 12 5/8 while off the bike but drop to 11 1/4 when on bike. The 750 shocks stay the same, they don't droop. I am getting ready to try them out. I hope the smaller diameter is ok for now, I am going to get a set off of Andreas soon.
              The OEM shocks for the XS750 were designed for a lighter weight motorcycle than the XS1100. I expect you'll be hitting the bottom going around corners on those bumpy roads. Are you sure you want to buy 30+ year old used shocks? Maybe some newer Harley-Davidson take-offs would be better? If it's old shocks you want, I have some, and several others on here will have them too!
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

The ones andreas has are aftermarket shocks. He said they were in good shape. He told me $45 shipped. The 750 shocks are way stiffer than the shocks I took off. I could bottom the bike out pushing the sissy bar rack with the old shocks but not the 750 shocks. Did you see the pic of the shock with the dial on it? That was not stock on my 79SF was it?
                Jeff

Comment

Hey marty, do you think I will be ok to ride my bike with those 750 shocks on there with the smaller diameter? I have them on there but haven't ridden yet. Also, I don't think these were the stock shocks are they? They have that dial on them in the pick. thanks
                  Jeff,

The shock with the dial on the top is OEM. At least, they appear to be OEM with hacked springs. That dial is standard equipment on a Special. IIRC, it's a damper adjustment. They could be take-offs from another bike, a Virago maybe?

The diameter of the shocks means nothing. The spring rate is what counts. If those XS750 shocks are still functioning, they will hold up the bike and keep the tire on the pavement. Shocks that aren't functioning are dangerous. Keep that in mind.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Thanks marty, gonna go try them out.
                    Jeff

Comment

Just got back and it definitely rides different, I will have to get used to good shocks. That inch and a quarter makes a huge difference in height too.
                      Jeff

Comment

short shocks !

Hi ,, Being I'm 5'6" a short set of shocks would be nice , I don't like it when my feet are not flat on the ground !!!, How do you buy shorter shocks ? , or do I need to trim them a little at a time ? , and whats the difference between stock shocks and progressive shocks ?
                        79XS1100 for sale;
                        79XS1100 THE BIG AND UGLY;
                        78 XS750 TRIPLE Project;
                        78 XS650 XS6 Drivable Project;
                        82 XJ750 Inline 4 Project;
                        02 Suzuki LT-F250 4 Wheeler;
                        88 Harley xl1200 sporty;
                        83 Virago XV5 My Daughter's;

Comment

Originally posted by Bruceifer View Post
                          Hi ,, Being I'm 5'6" a short set of shocks would be nice , I don't like it when my feet are not flat on the ground !!!, How do you buy shorter shocks ? , or do I need to trim them a little at a time ? , and what's the difference between stock shocks and progressive shocks ?
                          IMHO, putting shorter shocks on the bike is not such a great idea. The bike already has a rear weight bias and shorter shocks will unload the front tire even more. You could lower the front too, but you're not going to be able to get around a corner without dragging hard parts.

The stock shocks have straight rate springs. They are wound the same from the top to the bottom. The progressive wound spring is dual rate. When you look at it the coils are tighter are one of the ends. When I took the stock springs out of my Special, I noted that they were progressive wound. Speaking for myself, I am not a fan of progressive wound springs. I would much rather fit my bike with the rate correct for me and be done with it.

Think about it. You are 5'6" and I am 6'4". We likely don't weigh the same either. We may not ride the same, or carry a passenger? How likely is it that the same spring is right for both of us? I do believe that progressive wound springs may be better "one size fits all" than straight rate, but I am not really a suspension expert.

I saw a woman 5'1" tall get on an 1100 cc Virago and flat foot it. I found it too short to tolerate, so I can assure you, I will never have one. Perhaps you can cut the padding down in the seat to get it lower?
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

in your opinion,,,

I think if I could lose 1 /1.5 inchs in height ,, id be pretty happy , I did some messureing and found that on my xs11, that's suppose to be fully dressed the coild are .312-.318 dia round spring stock , my other xs11 , is like .3 - .295 round , and the xs650 was like .280-.290 round . my shocks are all stock ,, I'm just looking to drop about a inch. ,, any Ideas ?
                            79XS1100 for sale;
                            79XS1100 THE BIG AND UGLY;
                            78 XS750 TRIPLE Project;
                            78 XS650 XS6 Drivable Project;
                            82 XJ750 Inline 4 Project;
                            02 Suzuki LT-F250 4 Wheeler;
                            88 Harley xl1200 sporty;
                            83 Virago XV5 My Daughter's;

Comment

That is the length of my 750. I wonder why he lowered it? The shocks look identical just shorter. Do they make ones that look stock just lower or did they somehow cut them. Does the adjustment on them adjust height or just stiffness.
                              Hi Jeff,
                              perhaps the PO watched too many chopper build shows and thought shorter shocks looked cool?
                              Most likely the shorter shocks were salvaged off a different bike.
                              What the 5-way clickything does is alter the spring's preload.
                              Shock height and spring stiffness do not change.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ok, I took them off to switch to the ones off of the 750. The 750 shocks are a little smaller in diameter but much stronger. The shocks I took off of the 1100 have a dial in the top on the back side. The way they were mounted, you would have to take them off to adjust the dial. Here are some pics. The shocks are the 12 5/8 while off the bike but drop to 11 1/4 when on bike. The 750 shocks stay the same, they don't droop. I am getting ready to try them out. I hope the smaller diameter is ok for now, I am going to get a set off of andreas soon.
                                Hi Jeff,
                                clicked on the shock photos too late to edit my previous post.
                                Those are two different shocks! The chrome one has 9 visible coils and a canted top spring cup that hints the spring has been cut short but not re-shaped. {note that shortening a spring makes it stiffer}
                                The black one has 11 visible coils and a shorter distance between the lower eye and the bottom spring cup.
                                Swap them for something else. Anything else so long as they are the same.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X