Shock length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock length

I measure my shocks today cause I see people wanting to lower these bikes and I thought mine was low to begin with (I am over 6'4" though.) My shocks were about 11 1/4" from center of bolt to center of bolt. Is that the stock size? What are the point you guys are measuring your shocks. The original owner of this bike was almost as tall as me and I don't know why he would have put shorter shocks on it. Are these stock or not? Also my xs750 shocks are the same shocks but longer. I may switch them cause the xs750 does sit high and my wife may ride it. Thanks guys.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
    I measure my shocks today cause I see people wanting to lower these bikes and I thought mine was low to begin with (I am over 6'4" though.) My shocks were about 11 1/4" from center of bolt to center of bolt. Is that the stock size? What are the point you guys are measuring your shocks. The original owner of this bike was almost as tall as me and I don't know why he would have put shorter shocks on it. Are these stock or not? Also my xs750 shocks are the same shocks but longer. I may switch them cause the xs750 does sit high and my wife may ride it. Thanks guys.
    I think 12 1/2" is stock ? Measure from center bolts.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

You're close... 12 5/8" is stock length.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

That is the length of my 750. I wonder why he lowered it? The shocks look identical just shorter. Do they make ones that look stock just lower or did they somehow cut them. Does the adjustment on them adjust height or just stiffness.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
          That is the length of my 750. I wonder why he lowered it? The shocks look identical just shorter. Do they make ones that look stock just lower or did they somehow cut them. Does the adjustment on them adjust height or just stiffness.
          I cannot speak to the 750's but just know from searching and researching about shocks that they are 320mm or 12 5/8" (unless Steeve is wrong ).

The adjust ment on the stock shocks (earlier version) adjust spring preload. With the earlier shocks, the spring controls compressive dampening and the shock is rebound dampening only (so I've read).
          Last edited by WMarshy; 06-18-2013, 04:24 AM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I suppose it is possible the springs are THAT worn out, but I doubt it. It is possible someone cut the springs to make them shorter.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

But he has an SF and didn't they have a shorter shock because of the 16" rear wheel? I do not ever remember my shocks being as long as 12 5/8"
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I only have 14 thousand miles so I don't think they are that worn. Does the special have a shorter shock? thanks.
                Jeff

Comment

The Special shocks are 12 5/8". I might be interested in those shorter shocks.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I measured the factory shocks on my SG and they are 12 5/8", on my other SG I have aftermarket shocks and they are 13 1/4". I have never really noticed much difference in the ride or handling between the two bikes.

Comment

12 and 1/2 plus one eighth is correct for all of these bikes. My XS650 bikes are the same. Shorter shocks adversely affect handling. FWIW, Progressive Suspension calls it 12.5". Maybe that's why I'm not crazy about my Progressive shocks. They're 1/8" too short!
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

rear shocks

I tried a pair of 1"shorter shocks on my '80 special. they worked fine but they made it damn near impossible for me to get the bike up onto the center stand.
                        I went back to stock length shocks(12.5") and now, once again, hoisting it up is easy.

Comment

I run XJ air shocks on my SH. Rides nice, and a little shorter. Works fine for me.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

Ok so the 750 and 1100 shocks are a little different not much. The 750 is the 12 5/8 and the are adjusted exactly opposite of the 1100. The 1100 looks as if it is on the adjustment to compress the springs the most, the 750 is to uncompress the springs the most. The 750 feels much stiffer to push down the rear. The 1100 is way to soft, if pushes down very easy. Me and my wife went for a ride the other day and hit a bump and I think I may have bottomed out. does that adjustment on the bottom not adjust height at all, it looks like it would. I just searched google for that adjustment on my shocks and it says its a preload adjustment and it does affect ride height. So, if I adjust it completely all the way around like my 750 is, will it set higher?
                            Last edited by jjz28; 06-19-2013, 04:59 AM. Reason: added
                            Jeff

Comment

Well I just went out and jacked my bike up about 1 inch while it was on the sidestand because I don't have a center stand and I was going to take the shock off to adjust the preload. Well I touched the shock and it was really loose (the spring), I just twisted the adjustment by hand and had to put it back. someone cut the springs on this, I guess. I have no idea why the PO did this, he was tall too. I guess I will be hitting up andrea for those shocks.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X