Pilot Jets?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Jets?????

Ok So when is the need to change pilot sizes? 79SF,mac 4/1 exhaust,drilled airbox,142.5 mains. Back fires running off idle
    Keep the shiny side up
    1979 XS1100SF
    Mac 4-1
    Drilled airbox Uni filter
    Vmax bars
    Virago 1" shorter shocks
    30K miles
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
    1981XS1100SH
    '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
    '80 G tank
    Mac Turnouts
    Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
    SH Headlight
    http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
    61 Wife
    83 Son
    86 Son
    89 Daughter

After you run out of adjustment with your pilot needle screws. They control your mix at idle. If your poping at idle you could turn them out 1/2 a turn at first and see how that does. From there I wouldnt make more than a 1/4 turn adjustmen. If its been idling for a while, pull you plugs and check the color. Your going for a light brown / tan color on the insulator. If making adjustments doesnt seem to be doing anything, shut the bike off and take the pilot adjustment screw out to see if the tip is missing. Sometimes people tighten them too much and it breaks the tip off into the carb body and adjustments will not be affective...

Assuming the tip isnt broken, if you adjust the screw out to the point where they are about falling out, then its time to go up one pilot size. The '79 carbs had 42.5s in them, going to 45 would probably take care of it.
    Last edited by WMarshy; 06-08-2013, 11:24 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I sycned and colortuned, she doesn't pop at idle. Pops giving her gas after idle. More noticeable when riding. after a bit of coughing seem to clear towards wot
      Keep the shiny side up
      1979 XS1100SF
      Mac 4-1
      Vmax bars
      Virago 1" shorter shocks
      30K miles
      1981XS1100SH
      '80 G tank
      Mac Turnouts
      SH Headlight
      61 Wife
      83 Son
      86 Son
      89 Daughter

Comment

It does sound like it's still a bit lean, but what do the plugs look like??

ALso what are your floats set to....if stock 79 carbs...25.7mm but they stated +/- 1.00mm....you can richen it up a little with lowering the floats.

Even though you've colortuned it, thats just for idle! The pilots to contribute some to the throttle in the low to midrange throttle position before the mains start kicking in. That's why it was suggested to try turning the pilot jet screws OUT another 1/2 turn DESPITE what they colortuned to.

IF the screws are close or more than ~3.5 turns out then it's suggested to go up another pilot jet size.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          It does sound like it's still a bit lean, but what do the plugs look like??

ALso what are your floats set to....if stock 79 carbs...25.7mm but they stated +/- 1.00mm....you can richen it up a little with lowering the floats.

Even though you've colortuned it, thats just for idle! The pilots to contribute some to the throttle in the low to midrange throttle position before the mains start kicking in. That's why it was suggested to try turning the pilot jet screws OUT another 1/2 turn DESPITE what they colortuned to.

IF the screws are close or more than ~3.5 turns out then it's suggested to go up another pilot jet size.

T.C.
          Hmmm........guess it would be lowering with carbs upside down.........otherwise .5mm raised, if that is the issue when checking them.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thx guys I'll give that a try(idle screws) before I pull the carbs and do a wet float level check. The plugs were dry black and sooted so I'm thinking too rich? Will let you know
            Last edited by tweeleft; 06-09-2013, 09:04 AM.
            Keep the shiny side up
            1979 XS1100SF
            Mac 4-1
            Vmax bars
            Virago 1" shorter shocks
            30K miles
            1981XS1100SH
            '80 G tank
            Mac Turnouts
            SH Headlight
            61 Wife
            83 Son
            86 Son
            89 Daughter

Comment

Aha...the plot thickens!

Black and sooty! Sounds familiar! You haven't specified WHAT type of Pilot jets you have. This bike is NEW to you, so you may not know what the PO did or put in the carbs. We have found that some aftermarket..ie. K&L brand pilot jets....non-Mikuni are the wrong style/size....the metering orifice is way too large vs. what is actually stamped on the jet...and they WILL cause excessive richness. Another identifying item for these jets aside from the fact that do NOT have the Mikuni diamond mark, is that they have 8 vent side holes instead of 6. Would suggest IF you don't know for sure what Pilot jets are in there to pull the carbs and inspect, and change to Mikuni.

Thanks Motoman....yeah...UPSIDE down view for lowering float=raising them which will richen....but suggest he investigate the pilots first with this new finding=plug color!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Ok carbs coming out soon, and i thought it was suppose to be 6 holes not 8 thx

**Edit...you're right, my CRS getting to me...I editted my post above to correct info.! T.C. **
                Last edited by tweeleft; 06-09-2013, 09:41 AM.
                Keep the shiny side up
                1979 XS1100SF
                Mac 4-1
                Vmax bars
                Virago 1" shorter shocks
                30K miles
                1981XS1100SH
                '80 G tank
                Mac Turnouts
                SH Headlight
                61 Wife
                83 Son
                86 Son
                89 Daughter

Comment

There are a lot of resources for reading plugs, just google it. There is a nice detailed on from a small engine aircraft web site thats floating around here somewhere but I cannot find it... here is one I came across that seems to have good info (probably more than the average person needs).

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/s...eadingJPEG.jpg
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Or even on our site: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2712
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                      Thanks TC, didnt realize we had one. Should have checked... take a look at the link I posted. It might be worth addimg to our tech tip..? I got it from a racing forum where a guy took tech info from a few good sources and combined it into one visual... the only dowbside is its on photobucket so if it ever went away we'd never be able ro recover it. JAT
                      Last edited by WMarshy; 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM.
                      '79 XS11 F
                      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                      Stock, no title.

Comment

Thx Guys I'm hoping to get to work on it today. We'll see. That 61 wife may have other ideas lol. Will tell of the outcome
                        Keep the shiny side up
                        1979 XS1100SF
                        Mac 4-1
                        Vmax bars
                        Virago 1" shorter shocks
                        30K miles
                        1981XS1100SH
                        '80 G tank
                        Mac Turnouts
                        SH Headlight
                        61 Wife
                        83 Son
                        86 Son
                        89 Daughter

Comment

Ok PO has 45 pilot jets. Going shopping Monday for 42.5 mikini BS30/96's
                          Keep the shiny side up
                          1979 XS1100SF
                          Mac 4-1
                          Vmax bars
                          Virago 1" shorter shocks
                          30K miles
                          1981XS1100SH
                          '80 G tank
                          Mac Turnouts
                          SH Headlight
                          61 Wife
                          83 Son
                          86 Son
                          89 Daughter

Comment

Sorry to threadjack, but I just tried to sync my carbs and screwing out the idle mixture screws didn't change the vacuum at all. I did not have a tach hooked up but I had the idle set so the bike would run without stumbling. I was able to sync using the sync screws on the butterflys. My question from reading this thread is does the lack of change from the idle mixture screws indicate that I need bigger pilot jets? I have pod filters and a 4-2 exhaust.
                            79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Comment

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
                              Sorry to threadjack, but I just tried to sync my carbs and screwing out the idle mixture screws didn't change the vacuum at all. I did not have a tach hooked up but I had the idle set so the bike would run without stumbling. I was able to sync using the sync screws on the butterflys. My question from reading this thread is does the lack of change from the idle mixture screws indicate that I need bigger pilot jets? I have pod filters and a 4-2 exhaust.
                              More likely that your pilot screw tips are broken off in the carb body... Take the screws out and look at the tip to see if its still intact. If/when you tighten the screws, only go lightly seated as the tips are fragile.
                              '79 XS11 F
                              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                              Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                              X