Bike started sputtering at 5000 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike started sputtering at 5000 rpms

I had been working on my daughters 80LG and after changing the carbs (it had a set of 79 carbs and I rebuilt the 80 carbs and installed them) the bike started to sputter at 5000 rpm in every gear. At first I thought it was the carbs so I put the 79 set back in same thing. I then checked the timing and valve clearance, found that the timing marks were off by one link. Got that fixed but the sputtering still was happening. I then checked the pickup coils and they were good. On a whim I checked the petcocks (I had rebuilt them last year) the right side had a white powder clogging it. After taking it apart and cleaning it the bike ran better than ever. (Because of the other things found)

Sometimes it's good to have something go wrong so that it forces you (me) to fix what ails the bike.
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

It is surprising sometimes how getting one system working better, will reveal the short comings of another system.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by tcoop View Post
      I had been working on my daughters 80LG and after changing the carbs (it had a set of 79 carbs and I rebuilt the 80 carbs and installed them) the bike started to sputter at 5000 rpm in every gear. At first I thought it was the carbs so I put the 79 set back in same thing. I then checked the timing and valve clearance, found that the timing marks were off by one link. Got that fixed but the sputtering still was happening. I then checked the pickup coils and they were good. On a whim I checked the petcocks (I had rebuilt them last year) the right side had a white powder clogging it. After taking it apart and cleaning it the bike ran better than ever. (Because of the other things found)

Sometimes it's good to have something go wrong so that it forces you (me) to fix what ails the bike.
      Last statement bout covers it........seems these scoots "find you out" whenever just a 'band-aid' is applied......
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
      X