Interesting bit of information....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting bit of information....

My winter update on my '79SF was to find, refinish, and install a gas tank from a Standard, and while at it, toss those damn stock petcocks as far as I could throw them. Did all that, I installed some ball valve petcocks, and refinished the inside of the tank with POR15. I am impressed with the quality of that product. While at it, I replaced all the fuel lines with current lines that are unaffected by ethanol, and completely cleaned the carbs.
    I also installed some lowers that I matched the paint on.
    What I find interesting is that after all that, my mileage has increased by 3 mpg on average. I didn't expect that. For the last 3 years, I have consistently gotten 39-40 mpg. First 4 tanks this season have gotten 43 mpg average....

Originally posted by kwats View Post
    My winter update on my '79SF was to find, refinish, and install a gas tank from a Standard, and while at it, toss those damn stock petcocks as far as I could throw them. Did all that, I installed some ball valve petcocks, and refinished the inside of the tank with POR15. I am impressed with the quality of that product. While at it, I replaced all the fuel lines with current lines that are unaffected by ethanol, and completely cleaned the carbs.
    What I find interesting is that after all that, my mileage has increased by 3 mpg on average. I didn't expect that. For the last 3 years, I have consistently gotten 39-40 mpg. First 4 tanks this season have gotten 43 mpg average....
    Actually, the lowers mounted on fairing WILL increase mileage approx. 2mpg. Tested that scenario a few times on my Venturer over the years....
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by kwats View Post
      The lowers may increase mileage but as you said you cleaned the carbs too. Be sure which was the cause for the effect.

One thing I noticed about running lowers is if your riding in a fair crosswind it makes the bike feel like it's going to get blown out from under you. Kinda spooky at times.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
      X