Thinking about little compressor and airbrush for painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about little compressor and airbrush for painting

I really enjoying fixing up old Japanese bikes. I pay a pro to paint the tanks, side covers, tail cowls- but the frame and any other items that get painted in black Im currently using PJ1 paint. Its durable but Id like to use a single stage black automotive enamel. Whats a good combo of portable 120volt electric air compressor and a small paint gun that would be ideal for frames, swingarms, calipers fork tubes ect? I have a 5hp air compressor but the air is dirty!!! I added a filter trap and drain the water from the tank often but its still NOT suitable for paint. Plus in the winter I bring my items into my work (nice and warm and well lit in the winter- air conditioned in the summer!) and their air has a lubricant in it- no good for painting.

My goal is to be able to spray a nice hard shiny automotive enamel and not be a slave to aerosol cans- expensive shipping and clogged exploding nozzles I sometimes encounter.

I bought a cheap 1.4 $20 spray gun from Harbor Freight and it does just fine. For spraying black on frames, it would do great no doubt. As far as the air compressor, I wouldn't know cause I keep borrowing my dads. I'd like to get my own soon. They make condensation traps for them, have you tried one of them?
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I use a 20 gallon tank with3.5 HP, 2-stage, oil free pump. Mine is Craftsman Professional model. It is about 15 years old or more, I bought it off a friend 11 years ago.

I use THIS for my paint gun. So far, I painted the tank and side covers on Ruby (the SG I just sold) and the fenders on my SH with this set up. I have yet to run out of air (for painting, differetn story for angle grinder). It did take some tuning to get the spray pattern right, but that would go for any gun in any setup. The only problem I have had with the paint work has been bugs and debris getting in the paint, but that is just part of the process when you work in a garage or out in the yard. Even those will sand out of the clear pretty easily, or can be fixed with a touch up.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Yep DGXSER is bang on; you can pay for the name, or you can buy this HF clone set for 49 bucks and save your money. I've looked at Devilbliss, Binks etc, and you know what? My HF does as good a job or better. I also have a Craftsman/Campbell Hausfeld compressor bought cheap from a second hand store. It supplies 7.8cfm at 40psi with a 20 gallon tank. If I am painting a big item, I stop after painting a "line" and let the comopressor catch up. You will NEVER run out of air painting a tank or side covers or frame.
        Use an inline moisture filter setup like this, http://www.harborfreight.com/disposa...ter-68224.html
        or a permanent one like I use
        http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...ter-68279.html
        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I bought the same HF set DGXSER has about 4 years ago, and the 'detail gun' in that set is perfect for painting motorcycles. Install a small inline filter and regulator at the gun and you're good to go. It's a HVLP gun, so almost any compressor except for the smallest will run it.

The full-size gun in this set works well too, but is too large for good control on bike parts IMO (and wastes paint but did great when I built some cabinets... ) The only negative I'll say is the plastic threads on the detail gun paint cup are a bit cheesy, but use a bit of care and you'll have no problems with it.

Is it 'pro' quality? Not quite, but you'll spend at least 3-4 times the money to get better and do you really need that to paint a bike once in a while?

A 'airbrush' will actually be too small for painting tanks, covers, etc.

But if all you're going to do is mechanical parts, look at powdercoating. It's far more durable, easy to apply, and once you have the needed equipment, cheap. I can coat nearly an entire bike (everything except the motor, frame, and wheels, no 'sheetmetal') with about $10 worth of powder; you can't do that even with rattle-can! I'm having the frames pro-done for about $125, simply because my oven isn't big enough.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ok so far so good. Thanks! I do have a water separator on my compressor. it does not do well. Maybe one of those filters that takes a standard roll of toilet paper?

Comment

Look at these.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/disposa...ter-68224.html

...and these....

http://www.harborfreight.com/160-psi...tor-68222.html

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Steve I like both of those. I wonder when you know its time to discard the filter. I like those though. I see TSC sells single stage enamels, reducers and hardeners. Not alot of colors but I only need black which they have.

Comment

Around here we have a Sherwin Williams automotive paint store. They sell to the general public 2 part paint products, and give great help on application. They have treated me great to date.

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                    Steve I like both of those. I wonder when you know its time to discard the filter. I like those though..
                    The in-line regulators are great; no screwing around at the compressor, the pressure is right when you connect the tool.

As to the filters, they seem to last a long time. The one I've got on my powder gun (which I use way more than the spray gun) is still the first one...

Paint prices can vary widely depending on where you live (big $$ here.. ), I've had good luck with these guys:
                    http://shop.thecoatingstore.com/
                    Last edited by crazy steve; 05-20-2013, 04:48 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post

As to the filters, they seem to last a long time. The one I've got on my powder gun (which I use way more than the spray gun) is still the first one...
                      Steve what filter are we talking, the little plastic "ball" shaped disposables??
                      http://www.harborfreight.com/disposa...ter-68224.html
                      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I bought that red ball filter and the HF regulator. The regulator was junk, did not work at all. And that filter is a BIG pressure drop.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          I bought that red ball filter and the HF regulator. The regulator was junk, did not work at all. And that filter is a BIG pressure drop.
                          Hmmm, I have 6 of the little ball ones, which sound like I won't be using them, and this one (which is great)

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-c...ter-68230.html

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                            I didn't get my filters from HF but rather from Eastwood, so that may make a difference. As to the HF regulators, I didn't link to ones I actually bought ()

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-mini...uge-68226.html

Yeah, their quality can be pretty uneven, but I have had no issues with these.

The Eastwood filters are more money, but if you watch for a sale not much more than HF (just missed a sale for $1.99 each)...

http://www.eastwood.com/disposable-i...ir-filter.html

Eastwood does make a nice mini-regulator too, but more money...

http://www.eastwood.com/mini-regulator-60-psi.html
                            Last edited by crazy steve; 05-20-2013, 06:31 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

After you hook up your paint gun, set the regulator only to find it does nothing. Then set the tank pressure up to account for a normal filter only to spray droplets on your tank, the price of better quality regulator or filter seems like pennies.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X