oil leak that is not the CCT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak that is not the CCT

I recently replaced the cct with an automatic one from a raptor. After replacing it i cleaned the engine so i would be able to see where the oil is coming from if i still had a leak. Well after my first day of riding back and forth from work I noticed oil on the engine up under the carbs so I looked at the CCT and it was perfectly dry but the bolt for the engine that is just outboard and behind the cct was wet with oil.
    Here is a picture

So my question is do I have to replace a gasket or can i take the bolt out and gob some sealant on the bolt then reinstall it?
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Well, you won't be able to pull that bolt out, because it's a stud.
    The acorn cap nuts on top hold the head down on top of the jugs and the studs thread into the engine body under that.
    You can try checking the torques on the head bolts/nuts. Follow the manual for the sequence and 2 stages of torque.
    If that doesn't do it and if the leak isn't that bad, then I'd just wait until you next time need to do some maintenance on the top end, then pull the head and clean up the head gasket (and reuse) or replace it.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

I don't think you need to do anything; what you probably have is oil from your leak pooled around this stud, and the heat/wind is 'wicking' it up out of the hole. If you go in there and clean that out with some solvent or brakleen and some compressed air, your 'leak' will go away....
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        I don't think you need to do anything; what you probably have is oil from your leak pooled around this stud, and the heat/wind is 'wicking' it up out of the hole. If you go in there and clean that out with some solvent or brakleen and some compressed air, your 'leak' will go away....
        I will definitely try that but it is a lot of oil just to be pooled up there. It has covered both sides of my engine with a nice shiny coat of oil. At first I thought it might of just been residual but then more and more came out, it seems like a lot for that. But I will try it and hopefully that's all it is.
        USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

You'd be amazed at how a little oil can spread and look like a major leak. And the bad thing about CCA leaks is the oil blows in between the cylinders and there's places where it can collect, taking a long time to come out.

If it is leaking around that stud, you'll have to pull both the head and the cylinders to get at it, not an easy fix.....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Alright thanks for the info crazy Steve. Your always a great help
            USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Working...
            X