Another forking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another forking question

I recently installed a set of Progressive 412 series rear shocks on my '80 Special. I thought my bike handled okay before, for the big heavy beast it is, but now with the new upgraded shocks I realize my front end needs some work.
    I have a Tkat fork brace to install, and a set of Progressive springs ordered. I am planning on doing seals at the same time, just because. I have done these upgrades on other xs11's I had in the past with good results so no issues there.
    My question is... I was reading the Rider Magazine article elsewhere on this site and am curious about drilling the pistons as outlined in that article while I am into the forks. Has anyone here done this mod? How did it work out? Any noticeable improvement drilling the pistons, or just the spring/ brace upgrade make all the difference?
    I don't usually ride real hard these days but do appreciate a good working suspension on the occasional twisties. I also prefer to run the suspension a little softer than some, I feel it lets it works better keeping the tire in contact with irregularities in the pavement.
    Thanks in advance
    Mark
    buffalo
    80 XS1100SG

I wouldn't bother drilling those damper rods as described in that article if I were you, BTDT. I didn't notice any improvement, I actually thought it made the handling worse. Then again I prefer a stiff suspension. Only way I would drill the damper rods is if you are going to use cartridge emulators. The springs and fork brace should help just by themselves, JMHO.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Just do the springs/brace....

While modifying the damper can have benefits in some cases, the Progressive springs are designed for the OEM damping.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks guys... I think I'll forgo the drilling for now anyway.
        buffalo
        80 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
        X