clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch cable

So I leave work early to beat the rain coming and hit almost every red light but do get home without getting to wet. I had noticed a lot of play in the clutch lever. When I got home I was going to try to adjust it a little and after two or three additional pulls snap! the end pulled off at the handle. I guess I am lucky. The cable does not look to hard to change but can not find instruction, so if someone know of a link to that. Also I have found a number of places to order a cable but not sure which one is the best? I see prices from $14 on up. Is an after market cable ok or should I get an OEM cable?
    79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

I got mine off eBay for about 14 bux. Seller had good feedback and sold TONS of cables. I'm happy with the quality. Was EXACTLY like my old cable only new.

Replacing it is simple. Remove the 2 large screws on the cover where the cable goes in. Carefully bend up the little "tab" that holds the cable in. You will see what I'm talking about. Re-install and carefully bend the little tab over.

Do NOT remove the OLD cable until you have the new one in hand. I pulled mine and I *still* have no idea how to run it thru the bars and under the tank correctly.. lol..

Replace covers, turn the adjuster on the handle ALL the way in and install the new TIGHTER cable.

Takes about 5 minutes to do.
    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
    2) http://www.yahoo.com
    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Yep, good advice about leaving it on until you get your new cable. I like to leave the old one in place and snake the new one right along side it then remove the old one. Sorry, no recommendations on where to buy.

Additional info on replacing your cable...

At the handle, loosen the adjustment lock nut and thread in the slotted adjuster bolt all the way. Route your cable. Remove side cover to expose the other end of the cable (2 Philips screws). Unhook and re-hook cable to the throwout arm. Then go back to the handle and hoot that end. Set the cable/handle free play to your liking.

This should not effect your clutch engagement because that is controlled by that throwout arm adjustment. If for some reason you want to make an adjustment to the clutch after installing the cable, you can find instructions here...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

you don't happen to remember the ebay sellers name?
        79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Comment

Do a search for 'Pro Motion', as they're the main seller of these. Good quality too....
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sorry.. I bought my cable last fall and eBay only keeps 30 days of purchases.
            1) Fire up Internet Explorer
            2) http://www.yahoo.com
            3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
            4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

as usual you guy come through. thanks for the help.
              79 XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by virstens View Post
                as usual you guy come through. thanks for the help.
                Hi Virstens,
                yes, the best way to run the new cable the same way as the old one is to leave the old one there until you've run the new one beside it.
                So long as you are sure that the old cable was run correctly and you are not blindly copying a dreaded POs wrong route.
                The cable that was on my bike when I got it is still OK but the XS11 clutch has a heavy pull.
                What I did was to re-run the cable in a single free air swoop from the lever to the clutch.
                Looks real ugly but cuts the cable pulling effort in half.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                X