No announcement yet.

Similar, yet different starter problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar, yet different starter problem.

Hey guys, this is going to be a long winded first post but I'm going to explain my whole issue the best I can.

First: I noticed maybe two weeks ago that the bike started turning over hard after I had rode it a bit. Let it sit in the garage a few days and it would start up fine. Just if I rode it 20 miles or so and then went to get back on it would turn over real slow. One night I rode it about 55 miles on the highway, ate dinner (about hour and a half) came back out, started hard, rode it a mile stopped to put gas in and then it wouldn't start -__- . Pop started it and ride it home.

Then: Two days later came out to look for the issue and it had no juice at all. When I press the starter button it clicks once and does nothing after. Oil and neutral lights both come on with key on and it does not die while I ride it. (Took that risk riding 55 miles home the other night.) the battery is fairly new and has twelve+ volts across. The solenoid has twelve+ volts on both posts and so does the stud that comes out of the starter. Oh, also made sure the engine had a solid ground.

So: All of this has lead me to believe that I need a new starter. I am just looking for a second opinion from someone who may have had his issue before or is just more familiar with these bikes. From there, if anyone has a starter or a good place to get one, that would be great too.

Thanks in advance.
    80 G Full Dresser

sounds like your charging system to me, not starter
    start it up and put a volt meter on the battery.
    rev it up to 2 0r 3 grand and see what voltage you got.
    clean up your grounds and make sure they are tight.

Im betting on voltage regulator.
    Last edited by Gallaecus; 05-16-2013, 02:31 PM. Reason: add
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

I'll go ahead and try this, but if it was the charging system, wouldn't it start with the battery at full charge though? As it sits now, the reading for the battery is 13 volts with the engine off.
      80 G Full Dresser

Comment

ITs the starter. I had one act like yours started out, hard to start when warm or hot, easy start when cold. I replaced the starter, and no problems since.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

You might have the battery load-tested, they can go bad while still showing good voltage. But if the battery passes, then you need check further. It could be burnt contacts in the starter solenoid, or poor connections between the solenoid and starter, although if you're seeing 12 volts at the starter when the start button is pushed not likely. So that leaves the starter...

It might pay to disassemble it and check for binding parts, but worn brushes are probably the problem. You can still get new ones, but at about $30 each it will probably be cheaper to get another used starter. You might be able to get brushes cheaper from a local rebuilder if they can match the size.

The service manual does have a service procedure for this, check that out too.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Ok thanks guys I will pull the starter and go from there. I'll post an update when I get that done.
            80 G Full Dresser

Comment

All is well!

Hey guys,

Went on eBay, bought a new starter from a (legit) company called EMS Global, $40 shipping incl. with a 1 year warranty. Very good seller IMO, bought it Wednesday and it showed up at my house on Friday. Finally got 15 minutes free on Sunday to throw it on and the problem is solved. Cranks right up like the thing is brand new again. Was going to post yesterday afternoon but had some issues reaching the site.

Side note, I'm amazed by the ease of access these things have on most all parts. Took longer to get the seat and air box off than to change the starter itself. I have 4 friends with new rice burners and even changing the oil on those is a process and a half.
              80 G Full Dresser

Comment

Working...
              X