Its ALIVE again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its ALIVE again

Wellp, it's been a long winter with the 78E all warm and cozy in the living-room. Many new parts and a good cleaning to remove all that pesky dust from the frame and everywhere.

Replaced timing chain, carb boots, fuse-block, all fluids, filters, cables, V1000 Coils, custom plug wires and more.

Was a bit worried about all the updates. ESPECIALLY the horror stories about the timing chain replacement.

Cleaned up all the tools, old broken parts and moved the XS out to the garage. Had to go get fresh gas. A blurp of Marvel mystery oil in the gas tank as usual and she fired right up! Success!

Blasted around a bit. New carb boots and chain REALLY tightened it up. Throttle response is AMAZING. Forgot to get new tags today so can't go too far.

Have a small exhaust leak at the header.. I can hear it when I get into the throttle a bit.

But, so far so good! Will let it sit in the garage overnight and see if any oil leaks form from the new gaskets. DOH.. Shouldn't tho..
    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
    2) http://www.yahoo.com
    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Was actually just thinking of giving you a call today to see how it was coming along.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Seems like a non technical discussion better suited for the members lounge...

Wish I could keep my bike in the house, maybe I'd rub on'er a little more often and get'er nice and sparkly clean but, I think my wife would be too happy.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Give him a break Marshy, he is talking about cam chains and coils and plug wires along with the success of his repairs and maintenance. I got goose bumps...I may just go break something on my bike so I can fix it.

Glad your project turned out so well and fired right up!
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Not me, I'm sick of working on my bike. I just want to finish this thing and ride.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

It helps when you have two of them, both ready to go and being ridden.

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I really need to re-route the clutch cable though. I didn't take notes when I took the old one off and 3 months later I forgot. I routed it what I thought was correct, but it doesn't look the same.
              1) Fire up Internet Explorer
              2) http://www.yahoo.com
              3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
              4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

Well, I no longer have two of them myself...sold Ruby tonight. Happy for the nice young man that bought it, and sad to see her go.

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                  I really need to re-route the clutch cable though. I didn't take notes when I took the old one off and 3 months later I forgot. I routed it what I thought was correct, but it doesn't look the same.
                  The main thing to remember when running cables is that you want the largest radius bends, and the fewest of them, that you can get.
                  So look at the setup, and ask yourself if running it through "there" would allow a larger bend. The space around the head stock is where you usually run into problems, since the fork turns back and forth, and the cable has to follow it, and it all has to fit inside the tank tunnel.
                  Don't be afraid to experiment with different positions. The "right one" will be apparent.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    It helps when you have two of them, both ready to go and being ridden.
                    I'M WORKING ON IT! I met a guy the other day who needs work done, he has a Special sitting there with no title. Other than that it's in really nice shape. It even has nice stock exhaust. He wants $400. I should make a sign "Will work for motorcycles"
                    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Working...
                    X