Goldwing airshocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldwing airshocks?

I have Honda VTX shocks installed. The ride is smoother than with the stock shocks, and I never bottom out even when riding two- up. But this past week I broke another shock for the second time- the lower eye broke free at the weld to the shock cylinder end, just like last summer.

I have Goldwing air shocks on hand, but the eyes are 13" on center. I am wondering: is there any negative impact to using these taller shocks beyond making it a taller seat and longer stretch to reach the ground?

scoot

Nothing that would stop you from using one IMO. Because these are shaft drive bike the drive angle of the universal is affected and could result in some additional wear over the life of the bike though. Raising the rear is going to change the rake angle and decrease the trail of the steering geometry and affect handling characteristics.

Seems strange to me that you continue to break the eye on multiple shocks. What happens when it happens again on the set you plan to install. What happens when it breaks while your riding 2-up?

You might want to try to figure out why it keeps breaking. One thing that comes to my mind is the steel sleeve is frozen in the rubber bushing and possibly to the bolt? Are you over torquing the bolt? that joint needs to be able to rotate, if it cannot then you could continue to break shocks.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Thanks WMarshy. I did not know that the sleeve/ eye needs to move. I do torque it down in an effort to keep it from moving. There's my problem.

Maybe I'll reinstall the oem's now and order one more VTX shock.

I appreciate your help.

scoot

Comment

Yeah, the frame mounts have a sholder on them that the shock nut actually seats on keeping the nut from seating tight on the shock eye. It is a pretty tight fit and you really can't tell. If the eye of the aftermarket shock is wider than the stock shock eyes then you would need a sleeve to hold the nut out because the nut DOES need to be tight just not on the shock.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yet another good point to know. Thanks, Nate.

scoot

Comment

Working...
          X