Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello. I'm a newbie. '79 XS11F clutch or tranny issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. I'm a newbie. '79 XS11F clutch or tranny issues?

Hello all. This is my first post and I hope I'm not in the wrong place. I have a '79 XS11F that "slips" only at 7000-8000 rpms. It's just a quick jerk that lasts only a split second. It does it in first through third gear, but not always. I have not been on a road locally where I can wring it's neck in 4th or 5th. I have read posts about the tranny issues but wondered if this could be a clutch problem instead. Bike has 22,000 miles and I bought it used. Primary oil and mid/final drive oil was thin and filty. I replaced primary oil with proper dinosaur juice and mid/final drive with hypoid 80/90. There is no grinding sound of any type, just this quick slip only at very high rpms. Rear wheel spins freely and quietly on centerstand in nuetral. I hate to focus on the tranny if it could be something else. Any ideas or directions? Thanks, and I'm glad to be a new member. This site is great!
    79 SF

Read this, it will get you started with some info on remedy for clutch slip.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39688

I'll dig up some reading info about the dreaded 2nd gear issue but it sounds like you just have clutch slip to me. Typical description is it only happens at high RPM when pulling hard and typically RPM shoots up a hundred or so then drop back once you let off a little and an happen in any gear. The more it slips the worse it will get over time. Problem can be solved with new heavy duty clutch springs and worse case is new friction plates in addition. Clutch slip can be affected by the type of oil used. Stay away from friction modifiers and additional additives for high mileage engines and energy conserving labels in the API label on the back of the jug.

Welcome to the fourm, try the search function it will return any answer you have and more. Check the maintenance section for step by step tips and what to look for on a neglected XS.

Second Gear Issue:

See this link, it has some good info in it and more reference links in it. Big difference between clutch slip and second gear issue is the second gear issue (not only limited to 2nd, just called that b/c that is usually the culprit) is that the bike acts like its jumping a tooth(s) on the gear and if its really bad it wont stay in the selected gear. It has a rather "machine gun" action within the transmission.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...2nd+gear+issue
    Last edited by WMarshy; 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

clutch or tranny issue?

Thanks Wmarshy. Unfortunetly, that's what it feels like (jumping a tooth). I read other threads with the "second gear" problem where the bikes would come out of gear etc. That' where I'm confused - the symptoms, and other folks descriptions. At first, I thought it was jumping a tooth in the shaft drive. It feels just like a chain drive slipping one tooth. Any chance you think it still may be the clutch? I'd rather tear in to the clutch it if you think that could be the culprit. I'll read some more. Thanks again.
      79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by tn11 View Post
        Thanks Wmarshy. Unfortunetly, that's what it feels like (jumping a tooth). I read other threads with the "second gear" problem where the bikes would come out of gear etc. That' where I'm confused - the symptoms, and other folks descriptions. At first, I thought it was jumping a tooth in the shaft drive. It feels just like a chain drive slipping one tooth. Any chance you think it still may be the clutch? I'd rather tear in to the clutch it if you think that could be the culprit. I'll read some more. Thanks again.
        Nope, sounds like a second gear issue. Jumping a tooth or teeth on a chain drive bike would be a good way of explaining it... Stay off the throttle until you get this resolved so you dont make it worse. We have a fix for you but its not exactly a walk in the park. You're going to need to be alight with a wrench and able to follow directions and know when to take a break and ask questions to get through it.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I just had a clutch slip issue under heavy rpm but it just felt like a "slip". I think if it was your clutch or clutch springs, it would just feel like a slip. Lots of good guys on here that REALLY know these bikes.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

It is the second gear issue. Don;t fret it to much, if you follow the walk through that TC put together, it is not to bad. Hardest part is getting the set of gears back in, but a little cussing, swearing, and it will go back in, you just have to talk to it right.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by tn11 View Post
              engagement 'dogs' are not staying engaged in opposing slot, and it can jump out and back in. The tranny fix fix requires the clutch assembly to be removed anyways. Very doubtful if there's an issue with the clutch anyways. I would suggest since your in there anyways, to replace the ancient clutch springs with new Barrnett springs.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

"Second gear fix" follow up.

Thanks all. Been away a few days and just got back. I've got some other projects going on and will have to wait a while on the second gear fix. I was hoping that wasn't the problem, but it sure sounds like it. Someone mentioned "TC's" step-by-step and I'll follow that. I think I saw the thread. I'm pretty good with a wrench, but patience is my concern! It will be a big job for me. I'm sure I'll have questions, and I do appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks again.
                79 SF

Comment

site

the good thing about this site is that any problems that you might have there are tons of guys here that have had the same problems and are more than willing to help get your bike running like new. my bike did the same thing but only in first. i have since fixed the tranny (with alot of help from T.C.), and changed the clutch springs and checked the clutch while i had it out for the tranny fix. since then i havnt had any problems what so ever with the clutch or the tranny. good luck, its really not that bad to do.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Check the radial gear teeth for rock hard old grease. It is on the real wheel under the protective cover.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks. I'll check that and do appreciate everyone's advice. Glad the web site is back up. I freaked out this morning. I'll keep you posted.
                      79 SF

Comment

Working...
                      X