Seat Height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Height

Has anyone here tried lower their seat height and riding height by removing some of the padding in the seat? If so does it make much of a difference on your riding position and comfort?
    82 XJ1100
    Very Little that is factory left.
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

I haven't done it myself, but have seen it done. Max you can remove is about 1.5", more than that won't leave enough 'pad'. It will also be a PITA to refit the cover and make it look 'right'. I had a bike with a modified seat, it had pretty much the same comfort as stock but cover fit was poor, but YMMV....

Nicest job I ever saw was done by a pro; new, firmer foam and a new cover. The owner got a 2" lower seat height for about $200.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

seat height

I've had to modify the seats on several of my previous bikes and always found it to be much easier and more comfortable to have it done by a professional. cost me about $125-150 but the seats looked factory and I could sit on them all day long. tried just removing some of the original foam from the stock seat and it's usually ugly and unridable. of course, ymmv.

Comment

Original seat pan from my 78 re-shaped by a pro trim friend of mine. Done in trade for some extensive electrical work by me on his 71 Dodge.
        Comfortable as all get out and handles a passenger just fine. About 2 inches lower than O.E. for me and about one up for the 2up.
        Bungee web not included
        '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

As far as comfort goes, I feel much more comfortable with a lower seat. With the stock seat on these bikes, I find myself leaning forward on my hands which becomes painful on long rides. A lower sitting position resolves that. I also like the lower center of gravity for cornering, the front end feels more stable to me. I've hated every soft cushy motorcycle seat I've ever had. The soft foam tends to cut off the arteries going to my legs and feet. My legs fall asleep, then my feet tingle and hurt, and even my lower back suffers. I find that a nice low contoured seat with firm foam is the way to go for me. I make my own seats now, usually solo seats. My latest for the XJ is going to be comfortable, and nice looking, unlike my first attempt at a seat build.

If you're planning to have your seat redone to be lower. I would consider closed loop foam for the padding.
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

I cut an old seat down after reading up on how to do seat foam. It turned out comfortable, but in no way looks professional. I can be in the saddle for at least 8 hours, and not feel bad at all. Shape has a lot to do with it, and so does the foam.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight
            1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
            A quick death and an easy one.
            A pretty girl and an honest one.
            A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
            X