bike wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike wont start

i have a charge, i can push start it but when i hit the button nothing happens, the lights dont even dim any advice on my options
    81 eleven special

replace your fuse block with TC's set up.
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

???, replace fuse block, like the fuses themselves
      81 eleven special

Comment

Some '81s have a 'safety interlock' that prevent the bike from starting unless it's in neutral or the clutch is pulled in if it's not. A malfunction in this circuit can keep the bike from starting. Or it could just be a bad starter button. There should be a blue/white wire at the solenoid; if you ground that and the motor spins, it's the button. Still doesn't spin? Then trace the red/white from the solenoid to a relay; this is the 'safety relay' and if you jumper between the two R/W wires at the relay this will bypass the circuit.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Some '81s have a 'safety interlock' that prevent the bike from starting unless it's in neutral or the clutch is pulled in if it's not. A malfunction in this circuit can keep the bike from starting. Or it could just be a bad starter button. There should be a blue/white wire at the solenoid; if you ground that and the motor spins, it's the button. Still doesn't spin? Then trace the red/white from the solenoid to a relay; this is the 'safety relay' and if you jumper between the two R/W wires at the relay this will bypass the circuit.
          As Steve staed, ALL 81's, Standard or Special have the safety interlock(clutch in if in gear). I would first suspect starter button contacts, then secondly starter relay(if it just clicks when starter button is pushed).
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

thank you sirs, much appreciated
            81 eleven special

Comment

yeah when i push the button nothing happens period, we checked the the saftey on the clutch it looked good so... i must say my first thought was the button or the killswitch.. thanks guys i let you know what it was
              81 eleven special

Comment

Not power to starter button

I had the identical problem when I first put the LH together. Found a dirty ground in the left handle handle bar control was the problem.
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

okay, yeah it worked fine, untill we took the clutch cable off and lubed it, we also had the gas tank off i have a bad petcock, there was somtimes a delay when i pushed the button but it always started, although i have had an issue with the battery dying{human error i think} but as i said i can push start it, but i have a charge the oil and neutral light are bright as hell , but when i push the button they dont dim at all as they had in the past when i started it, i just got this bike and it started up great untill i ran into the petcock issue,
                  81 eleven special

Comment

yesterday i could push start it today im not getting spark,? i can jump the starter of the solonoid but im not getting spark, took the button apart completed the circuit , jumped the deadman switch on the clutch handle, no spark
                    81 eleven special

Comment

Ok, here's what to check and in what order....

1. Ignition fuse at the fusebox. Got power on the red/white wire? Good? Next...
                      2. Power at the kill switch (right handlebar). Look for battery voltage on the red/white wires to/from the switch. If only one has power, the switch needs cleaning. If you have no spark, this is the likely problem. One wire comes from the fusebox, the other goes multiple places; the coils, the TCI, and to the 'safety relay'. Check for voltage at all places to make sure you don't have a failed splice. Easiest place to check the switch without removing it is at the plug under the fuel tank.

If you have voltage as above, you should have spark. If the bike still won't start with the button, then the problem is in the 'safety circuit' (relay, clutch lever switch).

3. The relay will have two red/white wires, jumper these together. If the bike now starts, the problem is in this circuit. Still won't turn over?
                      4. The starter button isn't going to ground when pushed, repair/replace the button/spring, or the starter solenoid coil has failed.

If you get to this point (bike starts/runs) and you want to fix the safety circuit, let me know...

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

i will check that and get back to you, thanks a bunch dude
                        81 eleven special

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          As Steve stated, ALL 81's, Standard or Special have the safety interlock (clutch in if in gear)..
                          I'm not so sure about that....

In doing some research on this, while the FSM shows this in the wiring diagrams for all '81 models, the parts fiche (all of them, including Yamaha's) does not show the safety relay as being for the H/SH, only the LH (and XJ). They do show the 'special' clutch perch and switch for the H/SH, but I recall seeing a few '81s that lacked this feature.

The other thing I noticed is the circuit diagram in the FSM is incorrect; the internal wiring on the relay as-drawn won't work; if my scanner would work () I'd post a corrected drawing.... No big deal, but it would definitely confuse you if troubleshooting...
                          Last edited by crazy steve; 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                          X