Airbox from a '79 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbox from a '79 Special

Will the airbox from a '79 special fit on my '78 standard?
    Mike C
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Yes it will, it is the same air box.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes........
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks fellas.
        Now that I have a good airbox I can ditch the pod filters. The spare engine I picked up came with an airbox, a frame, and some other extras.
        Mike C
        Lake Orion, Michigan
        '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
          Thanks fellas.
          Now that I have a good airbox I can ditch the pod filters. The spare engine I picked up came with an airbox, a frame, and some other extras.
          Nice 'upgrade'.....to stock. Will run better overall!
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Jesus wept! That airbox install is a royal pain. Bike does sound a lot better now though, so hopefully it was worth it. Plugs looked a little lean this last change with the pods. Going to do some chops and check them out tomorrow.
            Thanks again, all!
            Mike C
            Lake Orion, Michigan
            '78 XS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
              Jesus wept! That airbox install is a royal pain. Bike does sound a lot better now though, so hopefully it was worth it. Plugs looked a little lean this last change with the pods. Going to do some chops and check them out tomorrow.
              Thanks again, all!
              Yep, its a pain to get in and out but once you have them clean and do the proper things when you store it you wont have to go back in for years. Now go enjoy your wider power band.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
              GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

The air box install is not actually all that bad on a XS if you do it as shown here.
                http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35349
                I have shown this method to a few guys who have been very happy with how well it works. I know I tried it the first time as soon as I saw the video and have never looked back. Nor have I spent huge amounts of time installing the carbs since then either.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Now ya tell me!

Thanks, that one's getting saved to the garage computer.
                  Mike C
                  Lake Orion, Michigan
                  '78 XS1100E

Comment

Not much reason to save it as it is posted under the forums maintenance section.
                    Sometimes members forget to scroll down past the discussion areas to look at such things a maintenance, modifications, miscellaneous and all the other wonderful parts this forum has. The simplest search is to scroll down or see the stickies. Failing that, there is the search mode. If the search mode fails then it is up to the fellow doing the job to ask for help.
                    Now your response is "now you tell me" . My response is I would have if you had the mind reader send the message to the correct recipient. Then in my mind I could have answered and sent it on to you!
                    That would be cool eh ...you look at a problem and think "there must be an easier way" and the world would answer "yes just look right in front of you".
                    So I am giving you a hard time...well a bit, but what I am really saying is that such problems have been discussed and solved by many before my time and yours. A site such as this one has many options for everyone to enjoy and learn from. Many if not all problems you experience will have had someone gone before you (Unlike Star Trek).
                    So by all means if you are having a problem with anything feel free to do a search and ask anything you like. We will respond, no problem.
                    I am really happy my response helped you (Thanks to the original poster) and I am not really digging at you, just giving you a hard time.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                      Not much reason to save it as it is posted under the forums maintenance section.
                      Sometimes members forget to scroll down past the discussion areas to look at such things a maintenance, modifications, miscellaneous and all the other wonderful parts this forum has. The simplest search is to scroll down or see the stickies. Failing that, there is the search mode. If the search mode fails then it is up to the fellow doing the job to ask for help.
                      Now your response is "now you tell me" . My response is I would have if you had the mind reader send the message to the correct recipient. Then in my mind I could have answered and sent it on to you!
                      That would be cool eh ...you look at a problem and think "there must be an easier way" and the world would answer "yes just look right in front of you".
                      So I am giving you a hard time...well a bit, but what I am really saying is that such problems have been discussed and solved by many before my time and yours. A site such as this one has many options for everyone to enjoy and learn from. Many if not all problems you experience will have had someone gone before you (Unlike Star Trek).
                      So by all means if you are having a problem with anything feel free to do a search and ask anything you like. We will respond, no problem.
                      I am really happy my response helped you (Thanks to the original poster) and I am not really digging at you, just giving you a hard time.
                      I searched, but under "Airbox"
                      Now I'm going to go cry myself to sleep. I thought you Canadians were supposed to be nice!

(Just kidding, thanks again!)
                      Mike C
                      Lake Orion, Michigan
                      '78 XS1100E

Comment

Working...
                      X