81 XS1100 emulsion tube problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 XS1100 emulsion tube problem!

So after alot of muckin around I have come to the conclusion that the only way my XS is going to stop fowling plugs is to replace the worn emulsion tubes/needle jets.
    The problem is they are imposible to get!! The part number is 5K7-14941-02 but they are discontinued by Yamaha and there is no N.O.S in Australia, or anywere else that I can find. No one else does a aftermarket part.
    The closest I can find is that KEYSTER do them in the carb kits for the 79 model. The genuine part number for the 79 model emulsion tubes is slightly different, 2H7-14941-02. Im not sure the difference, if they are bigger? smaller? do they fit?
    Any help on this topic would be awsome as to where I might find some as dont know where else to look, and I cant ride the bike without fixing this problem!
    Thankyou!!
    81 XS1100 R Australian

Originally posted by bike punk View Post
    So after alot of muckin around I have come to the conclusion that the only way my XS is going to stop fowling plugs is to replace the worn emulsion tubes/needle jets.
    The problem is they are imposible to get!! The part number is 5K7-14941-02 but they are discontinued by Yamaha and there is no N.O.S in Australia, or anywere else that I can find. No one else does a aftermarket part.
    The closest I can find is that KEYSTER do them in the carb kits for the 79 model. The genuine part number for the 79 model emulsion tubes is slightly different, 2H7-14941-02. Im not sure the difference, if they are bigger? smaller? do they fit?
    Any help on this topic would be awsome as to where I might find some as dont know where else to look, and I cant ride the bike without fixing this problem!
    Thankyou!!
    I offered to machine (CNC) up some a while ago but I need a good example to take measrurements from... I can get them made at material cost but probably wont ever do it until I need it done or until someone asks nicely and supplies one worth duplicating...
    Last edited by WMarshy; 05-13-2013, 03:04 AM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

That is very cool Marshy! I hope someone will supply you with a good one to copy. Someone with those skills is a real asset to this site.
      Jeff
      77 XS750 2D completely stock
      79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Not a problem, I have a good friend that runs a maching shop and then just happen to cut brass 98% of the time. Their machinges are 7 axis swiss lathes that can turn those parts in 30 seconds or less. It would take nothing to make 100 parts. See below for an example of the machines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVaoB6wjR3A
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I wonder if it would be worth changing the late model needles to an adjustable design like the early carbs had.

If I knew for sure that I would get them back I could offer up a needle and tube from a 81 carb (don't know if they came from a special or a standard though, never looked).

If you were really ambitious I could send you a cam plug to make metal replacements too :P
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Barring Marshy's offer, you may be better looking for a set of carbs. I am interested though in why you think the emulsion tubes are the issue. If they have been physically buggered by a PO then I could see them being a problem, but these things do not typically wear out from normal use.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

They start to go oval shaped after 30 years of vaccum pressure pulling on the needle, you can visualy see the wear on mine. It causes it to let to much fuel through at low rpm and fowls the plugs real fast. That option of making them sounds good although you guys are on the other side of the world. Im also looking at press fitting a solid peice in the section of worn tube and re drilling it.
              81 XS1100 R Australian

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                I wonder if it would be worth changing the late model needles to an adjustable design like the early carbs had.

If I knew for sure that I would get them back I could offer up a needle and tube from a 81 carb (don't know if they came from a special or a standard though, never looked).

If you were really ambitious I could send you a cam plug to make metal replacements too :P
                I have dimensions for the half moon cam plugs already. I planned machining a batch with the same machine but they are larger than 20 mm and his machine wont to anything more than 20 mm.

Only thing I can give you is my word that they will be returned to you with a complimentary set for lending them. I can have needles made too. Could even add slots to the 80+ profile taper to makr it adjustable like the earlier style...
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                  I have dimensions for the half moon cam plugs already. I planned machining a batch with the same machine but they are larger than 20 mm and his machine wont to anything more than 20 mm.

Only thing I can give you is my word that they will be returned to you with a complimentary set for lending them. I can have needles made too. Could even add slots to the 80+ profile taper to makr it adjustable like the earlier style...
                  Shoot me a pm with where to send them and I can drop them in the mail.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I hadn't considered the oval wear factor of the aluminum needle and the brass oriface. Could they be re-bored to round (but larger) and then drop the needle a notch or two to compensate for the bigger opening? One would have to do all four, but it would be a way to keep the original bits in play for a while longer.
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post

81 Specials = 5GL16 metering rods........may need magnifying glass to read on side of needle near the top....
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

5GL16 for the needle

300FJX-2 on the tube

Forgot I had already packed them....found them on the 4th box.....

Shoot me your address Wade.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate, check your inbox.

Do we have a matrix of all the different emulsion tubes and needles used for the different years?

I have a set of '78E and '79SF carbs back at my parents place I will grab in 2 weeks while Im down there and add those to the list to be turned. I'll take a day and ride over to the shop and take dimensions for all the tubes and needles I have so I can get started on programing. I think I could probably walk in with the needles to be measured and walk out with some finished parts in the same day, just have to give him some notice and he can make some time on a machine one day. I think those needles would be about 10 second cycle time.

Oh and if you'd like, I can make the needles out of Bronze, not sure if he has any small diameter aluminum in stock. Like I said ~95% or more of the material in his shop is brass, occasionally he does aluminum but its usually larger stuff like 20 mm stock so you wouldnt want to turn that down for a 2.5 mm needle...
                          Last edited by WMarshy; 05-13-2013, 05:32 PM.
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                            Nate, check your inbox.

Do we have a matrix of all the different emulsion tubes and needles used for the different years?...
                            Found it...

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39799

This is just the Yamaha Part Numbers so if anyone knows the actual markings (5GL16 for the needle, 300FJX-2 on the tube) on the part numbers listed in the link and can help fill them in, I would appreciate it.
                            Last edited by WMarshy; 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM.
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

Comment

Im interested to see how you guys go turning up some new ones! The markings on my tubes is 373 X2, Australian specs may be diffirent? Maybe this is just cause its a 81 mod?

With help of a friend, we are going to press a new peice of brass into the worn section then re drill and rheem it.
                              Ill let you know how it goes, fingers crossed it works!
                              81 XS1100 R Australian

Comment

Working...
                              X