Velocity stacks/filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velocity stacks/filters

I have thought about useing the plastic velocity stacks in the airbox instead of the whole airbox.This would involve removing the stacks{no problem},mounting them on the carbs and use uni filter bulk measure,cut out and mount on the stack ends.I don`t see any problems with this.Any opinions,advice? Thanks PS would make removing the carbs and such easier.
    Bill Harvell

Velocity Stack Removal

Bill, I have do this.Makes a GREAT sound while under acceleration.
    I did not use an air filter though. Put fine mesh stainless screens over the ends. Looked good and sounded fantastic. Ran like that for awhile couple of years ago. Got worried about doing engine damage from air born dirt.
    I had it set up like this while R&Ring the carbs 4or5 times while I searched out the best jets/float level combination on the Ratbyk.
    The screens I used were actually small kitchen strainers I bought from Walmart or some similar place. They were a Martha Stewart brand and after snapping the handles off of them they fit perfectly over the end of the rubber flare out on the ends of the vel. stacks. Did not have to use anything to retain them. It was a perfect interference fit between screens and stacks.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

That`s good idea had not thought of that.When ever this weather fairs up I will check that out,will be going to walley world tomorrow to get some oil for a oil change.I think the main purpose of the air box was to quieten down the intake anyway.How did it affect the power?Thanks for the tip.I`am going to do something with the airbox even if it is wrong Thanks again.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

Velocity Stacks

Without the air box or the stacks on I believe I was down on power. Don't really know, just a seat of the pants thing. With the stacks on/no air box it did feel snappier but that may have just been an allusion created by the noisy throb of power coming out of the stacks.
        Once I got the carbs jetted right, color tuned and synched the air box went back on. Seem to have all the power that I could expect out of it. I enjoy the smooth quiet pull it provides now. Can actually lug it down to 2200 RPM in high gear and turn up the throttle. No muss, no fuss it just pulls smoothly, just strong smooth acceleration.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

According to what I read somewhere.The stacks aid in producing the power a xs has and the airbox quietens down the intake roar.I have loud mufflers on my bike anyway.I will think about it for a while{rainy now till the weekend}and check on what all I need to do if it looks like it is going to be bigger than thought,I`ll just leave it alone.I have some other more pressing things to take care of on my bike first.Thanks for letting me know.The thing ran very strong before and I don`t want to mess anything up.Take care and keep the rubberside down.
          Bill Harvell

Comment

A wise man once said' If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I try to live by that. Why create more work for yourself?

Comment

Wildbill, ratbyks fine mesh intakes had the advantage of drawing in cooler air - it's a heat transfer thing. But, like he said, they're pretty dicey for a roadbike on dusty roads or in damp conditions. Condensation can be a big hassle. The carbs are gonna run leaner and fiddling the jetting will be the go for best performance.

Comment

Today I got my oil,messed around with the plugwires I installed the other day.The airfilter in the airbox is a uni-filter but I`am not to sure that the airbox is sealing good,in other words the engine might not be just getting filtered air.Thats another reason about using the stacks with air filters mounted on the ends,been looking at uni filters for that and maybe using prefilters on top of the filters.I`am still debateing weather to try this or not.Will not get a good day to check until maybe saturday,calling for snow tonight.I already have the airbox on so if I can get it to seal good{missing one wingnut on left rear}I might just leave it alone for now. Catch you on the rerun.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Well the more I looked at it and thought about it the less I liked it so the airbox and all will be left alone.Granted it would make removing the carbs easier.This sorta reminds me of the cure being worse than the disease after rigging up 4 airfilters and no telling what else might run into.I have decided that it is not worth fooling with.I live on a gravel road anyway.Maybe later but not now.
                  Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                  X