Running too lean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    You'll have to do a valve adjustment if you change cams (but haven't you been meaning to do that anyway?....)
    Are these the the "puck type" of valve adjustments??? And where would I get them??

Comment

You'll have to do a valve adjustment if you change cams (but haven't you been meaning to do that anyway?....)
      Do these valve adjustments need those "pucks"? Where do I get those at??

Comment

Grab that TCI in any case... those are hard to find!!
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The 'shims' can be gotten online or at most metric dealers (usually on a 'trade' basis). You don't need new ones, used is fine, they just need to be the right marked thickness. Between the two motors and with moving them, you may not need any...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

There was more to it than the timing and cams, valves and piston also changed.

While the 78 was the strongest, I have to wonder how many folks that are typical riders could ever feel the difference.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

I took a look at it last night and thought the same thing. Knowing Yamaha like I do, they probably changed a few more things between these years and models than just the cams. So I am officially chickening out(sorry Steve) and I am getting the 81 TCI box from the guy I got the motor from. I will keep you guys posted on the outcome................Cubby

Comment

The bike will run fine with the cam swap, and timing swap. It will run fine with just the timing swap. Its a matter of how close you want to get to the 78 performance and how much time and effort you want to invest to get it.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

The 'shims' can be gotten online or at most metric dealers (usually on a 'trade' basis). You don't need new ones, used is fine, they just need to be the right marked thickness. Between the two motors and with moving them, you may not need any...
                  Take your caliper with you and compare diameters. Some are .5 mm different.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                    There was more to it than the timing and cams, valves and piston also changed.

While the 78 was the strongest, I have to wonder how many folks that are typical riders could ever feel the difference.
                    +1.......the early ones pulled harder on the top-end.......later ones,(80-82) pulled harder on the bottom end......basicly a wash-out and I would use the later 4RO box with your later motor.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      The 78 carbs do have a screw over the pilot jet as they feed the pilot from the main jet, there is a crossover under the main jet in the emulsion tube section.
                      The newer style carbs do use a leaner main jet 110-120.
                      Is there any way to clean out this cross over to the main jet? I got the TCI box last night and it runs pretty nice 3 grand and up but no idle. I know the pilots are clean so I think they are not getting fuel to them. I will pull the carbs (again) tonight when I get home. And here is a dumb question, what would happen if I just remove the screws that cover the pilot jets??.........Cubby

Comment

If you pull the main jet, emulssion tube and the pilot jet put you can see the little crossover passage. You could use a toothpick or a little passage brush to just scrub it put.

If you remove the screw you would get too much fuel in both circuits.
                        Nathan
                        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                        K&N Filter
                        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                        OEM Exhaust
                        ATK Fork Brace
                        LED Dash lights
                        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                        SS Brake Lines
                        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post

If you remove the screw you would get too much fuel in both circuits.
                          I am not too sure, but I think the cap under the pilot jets is above the fuel level. You might be sucking air in both main and pilot curcuits if the cap is removed.
                          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                            I am not too sure, but I think the cap under the pilot jets is above the fuel level. You might be sucking air in both main and pilot curcuits if the cap is removed.
                            Maybe at WOT but if that were the case how would the late model carbs get any fuel in the pilot circuit....those towers are all the same height.
                            Nathan
                            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                            K&N Filter
                            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                            OEM Exhaust
                            ATK Fork Brace
                            LED Dash lights
                            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                            SS Brake Lines
                            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                            X