Petcock 0-ring in the grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petcock 0-ring in the grass

I had leaking petcocks on my 79 XS1100 SF. I bought a rebuild kit through http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/petcock_rebuild.htm. Everything was going fine until a gust of wind blew my plastic bag of goodies into the grass. I recovered everything except one of the 0-rings that goes around the "cam" or handle control part. I went back with the old one, and it was loose enough to bulge out as I tried to press the handle back in. I managed to get it in, no leaks but that one is very hard to turn now. My questions are:

Do you think this is causing that valve to be hard to turn? and

If this is the problem, does anyone know the part number or even better size description of that o-ring? I would like buy just the o-ring, and not another $30 kit

Thanks!
    Ed - "Where there is a Road... There is a Ride" -MoBro 79 XS1100 SF

You should be able to get an o-ring from just about any automotive or industrial supplier. I picked up 4 small o-rings for my float valves this morning from a local supplier for a total cost, taxes included, of $0.46 And that''s Canadian $$
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Re: Petcock 0-ring in the grass

If I remember right, that oring is a "channel" shape in x-section rather than a round solid shape. Similar types are used to seal the shafts for the carb throttle plates. I'll bet you kinked it when you installed it. I wonder if a solid oring would work?

Originally posted by mobro
      I went back with the old one, and it was loose enough to bulge out as I tried to press the handle back in. I managed to get it in, no leaks but that one is very hard to turn now. My questions are:
      Do you think this is causing that valve to be hard to turn? and
      Thanks!
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Take it apart and put it back together with a little grease. ;o)

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
        X