Engine paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine paint

I'm in the middle of the big bore project, and I want to paint the engine black, but I want to use a good quality engine paint this time. The first one I painted, I used a black header paint, and a clear coat made for headers, but it lost it's gloss, and gasoline spills from leaky carbs have really messed it up. Is there any paint recommended for engine cases, cylinders and heads? Will I have to go to an h-d shop and order it there? All engine cases will be thoroughly cleaned and sandblasted. The cylinders and head have already been cleaned and sandblasted. The cylinders and new pistons are at the machine shop now.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

John,

VHT makes very good quality high heat paints. Make sure the metal is clean of grease, oil, etc. I wipe with laquer thinner before painting. Ventilate Ventilate Ventilate!

Randy

Comment

Check out the Yamaha line of engine paints. I always thought they were the best.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have been using Duplicolor HiTemp with ceramic with good results. After a week or so it seems to be pretty much unaffected by gasoline or most other solvents. Just don't use a high pressure hose (ie car washes) to spray the engine. High pressure water will make the paint flake off.

Comment

The Duplicolor DE-1615 is a tough Aluminum high heat paint. I used it to refinish my final drive, then found I couldnt remove the filler plug! Can you say bass ackwards? Used a torch to heat the housing around the plug. Got the plug loose and the paint didn't even blister!

Can't vouch for the other colors, though.

Randy

Comment

Working...
          X