Emergency.. Need help in Arizona!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency.. Need help in Arizona!

Staying the night in Winslow, Arizona. Is there anyone remotely close that's got a clutch cable? I always carry one and don't know how I got off without it, but mine snapped in the parking lot. Tomorrow is Sunday, so no bike shops will be open.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Nowhere near there, so the couple I have will not help you much. But HERE is a suggestion until you find one....Had to be done.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Well, to be honest, that is the exact reason we're in this town to begin with. Brent and Bob wanted to cruise through town because of that song.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100

Comment

I would hit up everyone on craigslist who has a bike or parts for sale. You might get lucky.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Maybe this will be more help. Here is a member locater.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76
          "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

You could also find a bicycle brake cable at Wal-Mart or another department store and jury rig something to get you through the day. That's what I would do.

Comment

The clutch hand lever itself will work with a bike cable even though the bike cable end is smaller. For the clutch arm in the side case you will need to get creative. Bicycles have a bolt with a hole in the side in order to clamp the cable to the brake arm. Most department stores have a bike assembly area in the back and they will probably have extra bolts like it. Look at a cheap bicycle and you'll see what I mean.

Or you could just tie the cable in a slip knot, super glue it, and tape over that to make sure the knot doesn't move. It only needs to last one day. Good luck.
              Last edited by Yard Dogg; 05-04-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

i think i got one
                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Good ideas.. Thank you, but it'll have to last more than a day. I doubt any Yamaha shop is going to have them in stock. I was thinking about maybe pulling what I could through the clutch lever, then clamping onto that with a pair of small vice grips.

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

any real motorcycle / bicycle shop can make one

Comment

mxmikie,

You're about 300 miles away, though we're supposed to be going to Vegas tomorrow after stopping by the meteor crater. We could swing down through Needles maybe and it'd be a lot closer? The problem is tomorrow (Today now I guess..) is Sunday, and bike shops are closed on Sundays and Mondays.

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Worst case, have one overnighted from Dennis Kirk or somewhere.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

you get to vegas you can have one made;................... even on sunday

Comment

You have 300 miles in front of you and no clutch... so whats the problem? You only need one to get moving and stop moving. Just don't stop moving!
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Thanks for the reminder to order a new cable luber. Sorry I am no help.

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X