Spitfire windshield for my '79 special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire windshield for my '79 special

My '79 Special is the only bike I own that didn't have a windshield. I guess I really am getting old, as I feel the need for a little protection from the elements. In my younger days, I laughed at bikes with windshields.

In any case I chose the Spitfire S-06 because it seemed about the right size for the special, and didn't overwhelm the look of the front of the bike like bigger windshields do.

Additionally before I installed the shield I looked on YouTube for installation videos. The ones I found were okay, but I thought I could do better. Here it is.

http://youtu.be/N-uPtg-KNLc
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300A
    2007 Kawasaki KLR650A
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF
    1971 Kawasaki F6 125

Pretty cool man, you have less miles than me, I am at 13 thousand.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Nice Video. I run one of those too on my '79 Special (75K mi.), it has clamps for 7/8" bars without those collar sleeves. If you ride in a T-shirt, it will fly up on you with the wind in a certain direction. Easy enough with some practice to tuck it under your belt with your thumb while riding.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

how are you liking the windshield? I'm considering getting one myself, I'm about 6'1, would this windshield be tall enough to block the wind when i'm on the highway?
        1979 XS1100SF 37000km
        Green Dyna Coils
        Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
        kevXS

Comment

I had one of those and it cracked around the holes where the struts bolt onto the windshield.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            I had one of those and it cracked around the holes where the struts bolt onto the windshield.
            +1 on that. Get some Methylene chloride and put a drop on the cracks. Capillary action sucks it up, and it melts the plastic together. That's what they assemble plexiplastic with at my local Plastic Shop.
            Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I sent it back to JCWhitney and they replaced it with a National Cycles Streetshield. It's still going on Rockin'd's SG.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
              X