Dirty Dirty Dirty.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Dirty Dirty.......

My 79 XS11f has the square tach & speedo which I love but, I can't see them very well. After years of riding, dirt has gotten into or should I say under the glass in both units. I wanted to clean them, but after taking them apart I noticed that they are sealed. Has anyone ever bent the casing or should I say lip around the glass to take out the glass. Looks kind of scary, don't want to brake the glass. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

What happen

Some how my post did not come up, but on the main forum it shows that I have a post. Let's try again.
    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Re: Dirty Dirty Dirty.......

Originally posted by Bikeboy
      My 79 XS11f has the square tach & speedo which I love but, I can't see them very well. After years of riding, dirt has gotten into or should I say under the glass in both units. I wanted to clean them, but after taking them apart I noticed that they are sealed. Has anyone ever bent the casing or should I say lip around the glass to take out the glass. Looks kind of scary, don't want to brake the glass. Any suggestions. Thanks
      Years ago I mad one speedo from 2 bad ones. I gently pried the off one that had good glass but dead guts and put it on one that had cracked glass. I can’t say it looked very good and I had to seal it up with epoxy. It didn’t look too bad from a distance.

I know that speedometer repair shops can remove the ring and put a new one on after making a repair but I don’t know if they can do square ones. I’d recommend asking around before attempting to do one yourself.

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Gently pry out all the edges with a screwdriver. Takes a while. Squash the edges back in. Split one or two corners to make it easier.

Comment

And,

If you want to replace the rubber gaskets, I used 1/4" 'Channel Rubber' from Canal Rubber. Looks great. There web site is here:

Canal Rubber Supply

It's .50 / ft.

Randy

Comment

Another technique: some riders have used a dremel tool to make a careful cut through the metal bezel around the circumference of each gauge (speedo or tach). After cleaning the inside of the glass and lubing the moving parts in there with a light coat of lithium grease, reattach the bezel with some Automotive Goop. I think someone was going to post pics of this process, but I haven't seen them yet. Do a search on this site for "clean speedo" and see what you get.
            Dennis

Comment

Here is something you can try.I had a V65 with the speedo face so buggered up that you could not even make it out.What I tried was mineral oil on the lens.It helped but you will have to put it on from time to time.Worth a look.Keep the rubberside down.
              Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
              X