Butterfly seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly seal question

Im rebuilding the carbs on my 78E. I know I need to replace the butterfly seals. Here's the question if the seals were leaking which I'm sure they were would that affect the main jet choice. When I broke the carbs down the main jets were 41 40 45 45. The shop that worked on the carbs last were the one's that jetted it. What is the best way to know if I've got each cylinder jetted right. I know I'm going to have to sync the carbs but are there any other tuning tips. I'm also running a kerker header and k&N air filter in the stock airbox.

It would effect everything if its leaking air in. Replace the seals if you think theyre bad then its just a matter of riding and reading the plugs.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by spivey View Post
      Im rebuilding the carbs on my 78E. I know I need to replace the butterfly seals. Here's the question if the seals were leaking which I'm sure they were would that affect the main jet choice. When I broke the carbs down the main jets were 41 40 45 45. The shop that worked on the carbs last were the one's that jetted it. What is the best way to know if I've got each cylinder jetted right. I know I'm going to have to sync the carbs but are there any other tuning tips. I'm also running a kerker header and k&N air filter in the stock airbox.
      Go back to stock jetting and start from there. If you don't know we can help ! What year carbs are these ? How about some pics please ?
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

If I understand what you are saying about the jets I wonder why they put 41/40/45/45????? And I thought the mains for a 78E were bigger then the 40's you have in there now. Or do you mean the pilots? Cause those's sound like pilot jet numbers to me.
        Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
        87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
        93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
        71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
        69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Ok after checking this http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73
          Your bike should have 137.5 Main Jet and 45.0 Pilot Jet.
          If you are sure your talking about main jet size's and those are the numbers on them then I wonder what brand jet they used? Cause every manufacturer that makes jets have different numbers for their jet's. Like the K&L kits from a few years back had the correct number jets listed for our bikes but the holes in the jets weren't the same and caused troubles with idling issue's and such.

Guess we need to know what your bike is doing I.E. like idling issue's or won't rev up. Stuff like that.
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by spivey View Post
            As previously mentioned, they jets you describe are likely the pilots unless you made a typo and meant 140, 145..? The pilots are accessible at the bell mouth of the carb, the main jets are accessible by removing the bowls and are the large round ones. For a '78E the correct jets are 45accessible pilot and 137.5 mains.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              As previously mentioned, they jets you describe are likely the pilots unless you made a typo and meant 140, 145..? The pilots are accessible at the bell mouth of the carb, the main jets are accessible by removing the bowls and are the large round ones. For a '78E the correct jets are 45accessible pilot and 137.5 mains.
              Correction for ya' WMarshy.......pilot jets are beside the mains inside float bowel.........jets at rear or bell of carb are air jets and are in the 180-210 range depending if early or later carbs.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks for the catch, its been a few years since I've been in mine on the bike. My snowmobile pilots are in the bell mouth.
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Those removable jets in the bell are the air pilot circuit jets, the main air jets in the bell are the pressed in ones.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

and those pressed-in jets tend to plug-up. I believe they feed air to the sides of the emulsion tubes. Plug it up and your carb is rich in the mid-top end.
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                      and those pressed-in jets tend to plug-up. I believe they feed air to the sides of the emulsion tubes. Plug it up and your carb is rich in the mid-top end.
                      Correct, and easily missed whilst cleaning
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Working...
                      X