Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cool trick to clear pilot jets

Hello folks,

I came up with a neat trick to clean pilot jets in the carb body. My '79 standard has sat for 20 years, and the carb jets were plugged solid. 3 of the pilot jets came out, but one was stripped of course.

I used a piece of thin wire, about 6 inches long, and I cut it to length with diagonal cutters. I chucked it into a drill and used it to bore out the plugged up jet. The diagonal cutters make a spear-point that works as a crude drill to clean out the jet.

The wire is the key. I used some wire that my wife had left over from building architectural models. If you need some, send me a stamped letter and I'll cut you off a chunk.
    79 F

You cleaned the main port, but there is the air holes in the jet itself and the passage from the air jet that need to be cleaned. If you do not pull the jet out, you are fooling yourself to think you got that carb as clean as it needs to be to properly perform. JMHO
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by snakedriver View Post
      Hello folks,

I came up with a neat trick to clean pilot jets in the carb body. My '79 standard has sat for 20 years, and the carb jets were plugged solid. 3 of the pilot jets came out, but one was stripped of course.

I used a piece of thin wire, about 6 inches long, and I cut it to length with diagonal cutters. I chucked it into a drill and used it to bore out the plugged up jet. The diagonal cutters make a spear-point that works as a crude drill to clean out the jet.

The wire is the key. I used some wire that my wife had left over from building architectural models. If you need some, send me a stamped letter and I'll cut you off a chunk.
      The type of wire you use ( if it's hard could enlarge the jets) needs to be soft wire, bread ties ( twist type ) work well but because they are soft it ma take some careful twisting to get them through. Strip the paper off with your finger nails and after you get them through spray some carb cleaner to dissolve the crud. May take a few tries.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        You cleaned the main port, but there is the air holes in the jet itself and the passage from the air jet that need to be cleaned. If you do not pull the jet out, you are fooling yourself to think you got that carb as clean as it needs to be to properly perform. JMHO
        +1 on that.... plus the possible damage you may do to the precision-machined jet opening by spinning that steel wire in it. At this point, I'd replace the jets...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Two things I use to clean pilot jet holes out with are. I cut me a small piece of like 18-14 gauge wire. About 3 inch's long and strip the cover. Then pull one of the copper wires out. The other one I use for tougher holes is, I dabble in tattoo's on the side. And I make my own needles. Well the needles I get are really small. And when I say small they are really smaller! Anyways they are small and strong enough to fit through the holes and break's what ever is stuck. And being they are so small I don't have to worry about them making any holes bigger.
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Anytime you use a wire to clear soft brass jets, it's a good idea to sand/file off the sharp edge of the wire that is left from the tool used to cut the wire. Scratching the inside of the jet can disrupt the fuel flow/spray pattern as mentioned.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I've always used a toothpick, hoping the wood was soft enough to leave the brass alone. One can dip them in carb cleaner as well.
              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Well, sounds like a neat trick, but unfortunately, ANY kind of wire to root around in a jet just changed its configuration and flow characteristics. If the wire was used at all on rest of jets, replace them as they will likely cause issues. BTW, Genuine Mikuni's only. Know they're a bit more cost than the K&L and RD copies, but ALL of the aftermarket choices are NOT sized the same even though marked/numbered as such. Copyright infringements dictate this.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I use a super slinky e string from a guitar. They are a little too small, but if you put a kink in it you can rotor-rooter the inside passage. Hey, if you got restrictions due to scale, it is better than leaving it. I can tell you that brand new Micunis have a smaller outlet oriface than any stock ones that I have removed. Maybe this is because of tiny unfiltered grit in gasoline!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X