Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing timing chain.. Need a tool.. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing timing chain.. Need a tool.. Help?

I need to replace my timing chain. Its loose as heck and almost at the end of the auto adjuster I installed last year. The two dots on the cams are quite a few degrees off. Stretched.

Anyone willing to loan me the chain pin tool for a few days??

I hate to purchase one as I will only use it once. lol.
    1) Fire up Internet Explorer
    2) http://www.yahoo.com
    3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
    4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

When I did mine, I ground the link on the side of the old chain until I could tap the link out with a punch. I bought a cam chain that had a master link. I then put the new chain onto the end of the now broken old chain with the master link, and wound it down and around the bottom sprocket on the crank as one big long chain. When I got the new chain up and around, I undid the master link and used to put the ends of the new chain together with it's side clip facing so the open end of it was backwards to the direction of rotation.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
      . . . I bought a cam chain that had a master link . . .
      I couldn't find anything but an endless chain when I did mine, and I had ordered 2 links in case I messed up the first one. I had to break the installed and new chain. I honestly don't remember everything involved, but I do remember it being easier than I thought it would be.
      82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
      Website/Blog

Comment

Well I am sure others will chime in here but I'm afraid that if you have an 'endless' chain and do not break it then you have to crack the cases to change the cam chain.

I would just cut the old one off and invest in a replacement chain that has a master link. After you cut the old chain (which I usually do with a Dremmel with a cut-off wheel), use the old chain to pull the new chain through the well and around the crank. After that its simple as pie.
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I ordered the Z1 Enterprises chain. Not sure if it has a master link or not..

Comment

I just did this job recently. I too, sourced the continuous chain from Z1 Enterprises. It was a relatively easy job once I got into it. I was able to borrow the tool due to the rally schedule. Turns out, I'll be doing it again on another bike, so I could have bought it.

$60 at Parts-n-More, $48.50 at Mike's XS. I'd send it to you if I had one.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Ok, I forgot to order a master link last night. lolfail.. Another $7 shipping fee for 2 little items (D'oh).

I understand the procedure better now with the master link. I will just need dremel my old chain, connect the NEW chain to it and weasel it in and around the crank. Then peen the ends of the other master link once installed.

Doesn't appear that I need any special tools at this point.

Comment

I understand the procedure better now with the master link. I will just need dremel my old chain, connect the NEW chain to it and weasel it in and around the crank. Then peen the ends of the other master link once installed.
                If you are getting a master link then you don't have to peen the ends. There will be a clip something like a e-clip but shaped like a long U. You just slip it on and snap it in place. Like Courtney said just make sure you put the master link with the curve side of the U shape clip the direction of chain travel. And make sure the open end is flowing.
                Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                  will just need dremel my old chain, connect the NEW chain to it and weasel it in and around the crank. Then peen the ends of the other master link once installed.
                  Doesn't appear that I need any special tools at this point.
                  I used a center punch to start the peening. You really need an assistant to hold a heavy bar on the opposite side as you do that (I did).
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                  X