Shift fork removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift fork removal?

I am gettng closer to seeing my 2nd gear problem, I have 2 questions. 1) in order to pull out the shift rod, I need to unscrew a gear on the right side and remove a lock washer. I don't see that in the instructions, is this correct? And 2) in oil pan had a few surprizes for me. I found a round washer, a circlip and some metal shavings. Interesting, but I don't know what this means.

Check the microfiche, where those could have come from. It's on yamaha web page.
    You wouldn't want any loose stuff floating bout missing a circlip and stuff. I think there was a circlip on the rod, that holds shift forks in place on the right side, so the rod can't move too much to the right side. But I'm not too sure bout that... been a while since I rebuilt my engine.

What kind of metal shavings... I hope not the crank/conrod bearing ones...

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Re: Shift fork removal?

Originally posted by pshaw
      I am gettng closer to seeing my 2nd gear problem, I have 2 questions. 1) in order to pull out the shift rod, I need to unscrew a gear on the right side and remove a lock washer. I don't see that in the instructions, is this correct? And 2) in oil pan had a few surprizes for me. I found a round washer, a circlip and some metal shavings. Interesting, but I don't know what this means.
      Hey there Pshaw,

The tranny fix tech tip is almost done, but I can try to clear things up with these photos:
      This shows the large bolt that holds one end of the countershaft into the bearings, on the clutch side, note the clutch nut/shaft in the lower part. It has a large flat washer, but not a lock washer!

This is on the Gear Shift side, showing the shift lever interfacing with the shift pawl, there is a circlip holding the shift pawl assembly in place.

This is showing the pawl removed, note the circlip next to the engine on the shift fork shaft, the one the pawl was on!
      Once the second circlip is removed, you can then slide the shift fork shaft out the other side, it has an idler gear on the end of it!
      The bearing and oil cover is held in with 3 torx screws, remove them.

Then the cover comes off, and you can then slide 5th gear off of the shaft out of the engine.

And then you can slide the countershaft assembly out once you've got the shift fork shaft removed, and you have slide the shift forks back/up out of the way.

HTH. T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the pictures, it really helps. I will put the idle gear back on. I almost pull the shaft out the wrong end. How long til the tranny fix tip is complete? I am a little intimidated in removing the gears. The local cycle repair shops won't touch this bikes tranny, so if I can't fix it I will have to lick my wounds and part the bike. The metal I found in the oil pan appear to be a remains of a cotter pin. Are there any inside the tranny? Thank a lot for your help.

Phill

Comment

tranny

Dont part it. You have a potentially good/excellent bike if you take the time
          Glenn
          Australia

Comment

pshaw, do not part out the bike. Especially if the rest of the bike is in good shape. The trans can be repaired. There must be somebody in your area that can repair it. Dragonrider lives fairly close to you. He's in Garland. Maybe he knows somebody on that side of town that is familiar with an XS. Drop him a PM and ask.

Comment

Working...
            X