No announcement yet.

Driveshaft removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That fairing looks to be off of an 81G, a Venturer. The Special didn't come with a touring package I dont think.

Most likely someone stripped down a Venturer and your PO or one before picked them up and mounted them on that SF.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I did tit! Thanks Guys!!

Hi,

Prepping painting and assembling rear section today. I should have it on the ground by the end of the week??

All the best,

FREE

as in Jeff-free

Previous bikes:
      1979 Husqvarna 390 CR (NEW)
      80's KTM 250XC
      I had a 80's
      490YZ
      TT500
      IT 490
      1986 600XT
      1988 Honda 350 XR
      2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4
      (?) Dnieper (Ural like) 2 WD Military sidecar rig
      I have a 2003 Honda 300 EX Wheeler
      and a 2010 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force Wheeler

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/1c...Garage%20Resto

Comment

Be sure and get those swingarm bearings torqued correctly. The torque spec in the Clymer manual is wrong.

It says to torque them to 80ft lbs (I think) and it should be INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS.

Quite a few people have made that mistake and ruined parts.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

And while right there, I'd pull apart that U-joint and repack the 30+ year old grease in there.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Dust boot tip

Originally posted by clashpistol View Post
            Hi ya'll,

I am so glad I found the site. It has been instrumental to solving some issues regarding my 1100 1979 XF/ SF. I recently acquired it running decent and on the road with a parts bike for $1000.

I am trading the parts bike to a 1100 XS enthusiast. I met him while looking for a bike that had sold the one he offered just b4 I got there for appt. He is walking me through carb service/syncro and jetting (for installation of new intake boots and individual air filters)and heat tape wrapped exhaust , valve adjust/shim and timing. I didn't want to take it filthy so I am doing a "Joes Garage restoration"

I could go on but not right forum so here is my question??

I have a Clymer service manual and some details are definitely overlooked in regard to clear instructions... Here may be an instance of putting the horse b4 the cart. It stated after removing wheel etc... remove 4 bolts from coupler. Good luck for me now with tolerance between middle gear and boot. I have not 2 12 mm wrenches with one to stop spinning(?) or perhaps is there a hole in shaft and housing to put a drift in to stop turning(?) Should I put thread lock on bolts upon reassembly?

Thanks in advance for insight. Hopefully I will figure it out but today my schedule is finish painting 3 more sides of the rims. I am hoping to have her back up around May 1st,

All the best,

Jeff Bennett
            Western NY
            To ease driveshaft service and removal. Pull back dust boot and use a heavy wire to pull back to give you easy access.

Use a right angle tool to drift the flanges to line up connection. Tighten one bolt and use the tool to turn to the next bolt connection.

Previous bikes:
            1979 Husqvarna 390 CR (NEW)
            80's KTM 250XC
            I had a 80's
            490YZ
            TT500
            IT 490
            1986 600XT
            1988 Honda 350 XR
            2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4
            (?) Dnieper (Ural like) 2 WD Military sidecar rig
            I have a 2003 Honda 300 EX Wheeler