No announcement yet.

Cracked Cylinder Block / Cost of Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I repaired the same crack in my engine back in 2010 with Permatex black. I took my dremel grinder and lightly gound on the crack to crate a valley. Clean the area and then clean it again. I blew in the crack with an air compressor to insure any oil was temporarily pushed away and then filled the mild valley with Permatex.. I have put on 10,000 miles since the repair with no leaks.

Comment

A used car dealer (Toyota of Hollywood, FL) I worked as a mechanic for when I was 18 (that tells you something about used car dealers right there) did not really allow us to actually spend money fixing the cars they bought wholesale. Good for learning how to actually rebuild components though.

We got a VW microbus once leaking oil, pressure washed engine after pulling it out (labor was already paid for). Block was SPIDERWEBBED with cracks and oil oozing everywhere.

$1.98 for blue Marine-Tex and sealed each crack. Dried and rubbed grease and dirt back onto the engine, back in full of oil NO MORE LEAKS.

They wholesaled it to another dealer.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
        A used car dealer (Toyota of Hollywood, FL) I worked as a mechanic for when I was 18 (that tells you something about used car dealers right there) did not really allow us to actually spend money fixing the cars they bought wholesale. Good for learning how to actually rebuild components though.

We got a VW microbus once leaking oil, pressure washed engine after pulling it out (labor was already paid for). Block was SPIDERWEBBED with cracks and oil oozing everywhere.

$1.98 for blue Marine-Tex and sealed each crack. Dried and rubbed grease and dirt back onto the engine, back in full of oil NO MORE LEAKS.

They wholesaled it to another dealer.

John
        Which proves the old adage, "There is no honor amongst thieves".

On the other hand, it is good that you got some schooling in the den, it might keep you from falling prey somewhere down the road.
        CZ

Comment

I vowed never to buy a used car from a used car lot after that. My dad was in the car business for decades (mercedes benz) and I can say they never pulled shenanigans like that.

I remember one old guy who kept bringing his little yellow toyota pickup back each week always with a different electrical problem. It was sold to him before I started work. The older mechanic there told me it had been flooded and would always be having problems due to corrosion. We always felt bad for him and fixed it each time. I think the Lemon Laws came from dealers like that.

I did not stay there long. Maybe 3 months. Took jobs cooking and day laboring for less money because it was impossible to feel clean working there.

J
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Oil leak

By the by, I asked the tech at JB Weld what the temperature range of JB Weld was, and he said that at about 230 deg F, it started to get soft. Since your patch wouldn't be under any pressure, the softening might not be an issue. The head at that position would be around that temperature, especially on a hot day and hard run. Oil is cooling it, and exhaust port is heating it. Interesting proposition.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Some may know the XS650 sump screen filter always tears right where the oil pump draws. I fix these with JB Weld. During a rally I had a dip stick oil temp gauge and the day was hot, noticed my oil was getting up around 275°F stopped the bike and let it cool but after a few miles temp was right back up there again. Once home I checked the repair and all was fine. Changed the oil right a way.
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
            80 XS 1100 SG
            81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
            https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
            AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Oop's, mea culpa.
              The temp given me was Centigrade, not Fahrenheit. The ad copy states a higher temp, but he said that at the lower temp, it started to get soft. In a situation where its purpose was to cover a hole, and no great mechanical stress was put on it, even of it got soft, it would serve its purpose.
              Also, the JB High Heat Stik Putty Epoxy is supposed to be impervious to gas. Might be the item for a head crack.
              Sorry about the wrong temperature standard.
              CZ

Comment

Working...
              X