Pilot Box Restoration??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Box Restoration??

Anyone ever try to restore their Pilot Box? Seems I've never seen an XS without at least some of the lettering gone. Here's what I did this weekend.

First, I scanned the front of the box on my flatbed scanner.

Then I imported the file into AutoCad and regenerated the image, touched it up a bit and added new words where the lettering used to be.

Next, I laser printed the image onto a transparency sheet. I trimmed my the new faceplate out with a scissor and glued it to the front of the box.

The results are nothing short of a miracle. As soon as I get time, (I'm too busy restoring) I'll create a post and give everyone the link. You have to see this to believe it.

Cheers,

Randy

Not wanting to sound to stoopid, but what is a pilot box?

Comment

Oh,

That's the thingy between the Speedo and Tach that holds the idiot lights.

Yamaha named it the Pilot Box. Fancy name, eh?

LOL

Randy

Comment

Pilot Box?

Same inquiry, What is a pilot box?
        When I was rejuvenating my 82 Honda FT500 Ascot last fall I had a similar problem. After painting it I was able to get a pair of fuel tank transfers but only one was available for the side covers. I scanned it (and the fuel tank transfer) into my computer. Printed the side cover one onto photo paper in my HP photo printer-full size. Was then able to cut out and glue onto the side cover using contact cement. Unless you bend over and look close you would never notice that it is not original.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

just by a new one like i did it was easy.

Comment

Very hard to find on this side of the pond. It's discontinued. What year did you buy it? Is it possible that it's available in Europe and not USA?

Anyway, for the regular joe who has no alternative source for a new box, a new face is a damn sight better than a blank face!

Randy

Comment

it came from were you are,and there is still one more that i know of over there,if you want i will check it for you.

Comment

Working...
              X