Gas tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank question

I finally got another tank for my XJ, but it has light rust on the inside. (Was supposed to be "rust-free"!) Anyway, can I simply clean it out without having to coat the inside? I read everything in the tech tips section, but I never saw this addressed. I'd rather not have to coat it if I can avoid it. Since I'm out of work right now, I can't really afford it.
    Thanks!

John
    82 XJ1100J
    "eXJunk"
    Logansport, IN

I finally got another tank for my XJ, but it has light rust on the inside. (Was supposed to be "rust-free"!) Anyway, can I simply clean it out without having to coat the inside?

Yes, should be no problem with just etching it if there is only light rust in it. Coating is usually only needed in serious rust cases. Get some phosphoric(sp?) acid, or I'm told you can even use muratic acid but you really have to be carefull with it. The phosphoric acid is slower, but it's less harmfull to the tank if left for an extended period. In order for it to work properly, you first have to remove any gas residue in the tank. Wash it out good with a degreaser, then follow with hot soapy(dish soap) water to wash the degreaser out. Then etch with the acid. Once you are done etching, rinse with clear water untill the acid is gone, then pour in about a pint of MEK (methyl ethel ketone) to absorb any residual water. The inside of the tank should be a nice grey colour. Fill with gas as soon as possible.. if you leave it empty you will get flash rush on the inside.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
    X