Purchased 82 XS1100 or so I thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchased 82 XS1100 or so I thought?

When I purchased my motorcycle I was told it was a 1982 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special, to my disappointment I have since found out this not true for several reasons. First and for most due to a moderator on this site. Secondly, further examination of the tank shows that it was originally Ruby Red. According to the Serial Number 10M-001134 and the Serial decoder in this Forum this a 1982 XJ1100J and is a US Model. However, the sticker on the motorcycle shows that it was manufactured in Japan in 11/1981. A VIN decoder at Motoverse the VIN shows:

VIN:JYA10M005CA001134
    World region:Asia
    Manufactured in:Japan
    Year:1982
    Make:Yamaha
    Model:XS1100
    Body style:Road / Street
    Drive type:RWD
    Cylinders:4 Cylinders

So I guess the real question I have now is this an XS or an XJ?

Welcome to the site. If it is an 82 XS1100 it is the only one on the planet that I know of. They are rumoured to have existed but no one has seen one yet. Pictures would help a lot and many will be interested. The manufacture date is the most interesting as that should have been an 82. Looking forward to seeing this bike for sure.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by KraziCarl View Post
      When I purchased my motorcycle I was told it was a 1982 Yamaha XS1100 Midnight Special, to my disappointment I have since found out this not true for several reasons. First and for most due to a moderator on this site. Secondly, further examination of the tank shows that it was originally Ruby Red. According to the Serial Number 10M-001134 and the Serial decoder in this Forum this a 1982 XJ1100J and is a US Model. However, the sticker on the motorcycle shows that it was manufactured in Japan in 11/1981. A VIN decoder at Motoverse the VIN shows:

VIN:JYA10M005CA001134
      World region:Asia
      Manufactured in:Japan
      Year:1982
      Make:Yamaha
      Model:XS1100
      Body style:Road / Street
      Drive type:RWD
      Cylinders:4 Cylinders

So I guess the real question I have now is this an XS or an XJ?
      Dating on the steering head is PRODUCTION date, not model year. In other words, most all Japenese bike manufacturers have stamped production dates, which is actually the year prior for the upcoming new models the following year. All XS/XJ's will be this way. Show a pic of what you got as that will clarify for you......and we all like pics of a new ride.........
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

With a 10M serial number, it's a XJ. The 'Motoverse' listing is wrong.

All the XS/XJ bikes were built in Japan, regardless of the market it was destined for. The serial number as stamped on the frame and motor is how you tell them apart.

There were 1982 XS11 bikes built, but they were sold in Europe and Oceanania only.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

10M means you have an XJ. It should have the LED gauge cluster readouts. While there was reference to a Midnight Special version of the XJ, all confirmed sightings are for lower-displacement '82 models.

Very common for a seller to either not understand what they are selling or deliberatly misrepresenting the bike to sell for a higher amount.

The XJ is a good bike, I have owned mine since late '99, but they present their own set of challenges when it comes to repair, upgrade, and parts. Most cosmetic stuff is unique to the XJ, and some engine / ignition / brake parts are unique as well. It was sold in the US for only the '82 model year and some other markets - Canada and Mexico come to mind - for another 2 years. These bikes are the same as the US XJ with the exception of the speedo reading out in KPH instead of MPH. Two colors were available, Ruby Red and New Yamaha Black.

Wiring is considerably different (more complicated) and if you are going to keep the bike and do any maintenance and repair I recommend you get the factory service manual. Neither Hayes or Clymers offered an XJ specific after-market manual and there are enough differences to cause headaches if you try to use an XS manual.

To add insult to injury, the XJ is considered the slowest of the 1100 series, detuned a bit to meet emission standards which began to take effect in '82.

On the other side you get Special styling with a larger fuel tank, air-adjustable front and rear suspension, adjustable handlebars, linked brake system (some do not like this but I think it is fine) all-electronic ignition system, and some extra safety interlocks like the side-stand-down switch. (Kills the engine if transmission is put in gear and side-stand is still down.)

Many other differences but you get the idea. You have two choices: Keep the bike or return it to the seller and get a refund it because it is not what was advertised. If the seller tries to argue all you have to do is point him to this thread.

Good luck either way. If you do keep the bike there is a great deal of information on this site to aid you in doing maintenance and repairs.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thank you everyone

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I will keep my 1982 XJ 1100 even if I am going to have some interesting repairs. Being that this is my first motorcycle and a birthday present to myself I think I will keep it, so that I can enjoy the new adventure. As soon as the weather clears again I will get some more pictures up I am sure.

Comment

Very good looking XJ. Congrats on the new bike
              Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
              Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
              Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
              Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
              Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
              K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

That's a pretty decent lookin' XJ...

It's got at least one mod; somebody has managed to fit a XS airbox in place of the XJ unit.....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

nicee ride. keep the shiny side up
                  Keep the shiny side up
                  1979 XS1100SF
                  Mac 4-1
                  Drilled airbox Uni filter
                  Vmax bars
                  Virago 1" shorter shocks
                  30K miles
                  http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
                  1981XS1100SH
                  '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
                  '80 G tank
                  Mac Turnouts
                  Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
                  SH Headlight
                  http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
                  61 Wife
                  83 Son
                  86 Son
                  89 Daughter

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                    That's a pretty decent lookin' XJ...

It's got at least one mod; somebody has managed to fit a XS airbox in place of the XJ unit.....
                    And you can see a breather filter laying on top of the middle drive.
                    Also, it has an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust.

The biggest headaches I have with my XJ are:

1. Routing fuel lines even with the octy removed
                    2. Removing/Reinstalling carbs
                    3. Leaking fork seals - to be tackled again soon

Other than that, it's a reliable daily driver, albeit running pretty rich. The air assist shocks are very comfortable.

82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
                    Website/Blog

Comment

Safety first

Originally posted by KraziCarl View Post
                      - - - this is my first motorcycle and a birthday present to myself - - -
                      Hi Carl,
                      fer chrissake take a rider's course, eh?
                      We don't wanna see you in the obits forum and you don't wanna die.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The motorcycle safety class was my birthday present to myself last year. I must say that I have put over 6 hours on it since the 13th and for Michigan this time of year that is pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                        X