Only Runs on Full Choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Runs on Full Choke

I fired the bike up for the first time in a few weeks and took it for a ride. It fired right up cold and ran until it warmed up. Then it died and would try to start but just backfire and die. Then I tried running with full choke and it would stay running but backfire after what I guess would be 4000 rpm. With half open throttle it would run ok, but would die if I let the throttle close. I put a strong mix of Seafoam and gas in the tank (1/2 a bottle of Seafoam/1 gal gas) as I assume that the carbs are dirty, but would that explain the problem running, and why it takes full choke? I know that I will need to clean the carbs, but could that be the only problem.

Also I ditched the PCV hose and added 3 qts of oil (I'm pretty sure it was dry) and there was a pool of oil on the middle gear and sprayed on my foot. Was the oil too full, or is that what happens without a filter on the PCV?
    79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Vacuum

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
    I fired the bike up for the first time in a few weeks and took it for a ride. It fired right up cold and ran until it warmed up. Then it died and would try to start but just backfire and die. Then I tried running with full choke and it would stay running but backfire after what I guess would be 4000 rpm. With half open throttle it would run ok, but would die if I let the throttle close. I put a strong mix of Seafoam and gas in the tank (1/2 a bottle of Seafoam/1 gal gas) as I assume that the carbs are dirty, but would that explain the problem running, and why it takes full choke? I know that I will need to clean the carbs, but could that be the only problem.

Also I ditched the PCV hose and added 3 qts of oil (I'm pretty sure it was dry) and there was a pool of oil on the middle gear and sprayed on my foot. Was the oil too full, or is that what happens without a filter on the PCV?
    Sounds like a vacuum leak or clogged fuel flow. I would check all the vacuum lines and carb manifolds for leaks, then check to see if good fuel flow from the petcocks to carbs, if all is good, pull the carbs and see what is up IMHO
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

A good thorough carb cleaning is in order.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

If you had to add 3 quarts of oil I would make damn sure you know what you are doing. If you drained the oil, you would not need much more to fill it completely.
        There are drain plugs under there for the middle drive as well as the engine, not to mention the oil filter.
        Do you have a manual?
        Oil on your foot is a pretty good indication that something is wrong!
        Pool of oil...middle drive related.... makes one wonder what may be wrong here.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Oil

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
          If you had to add 3 quarts of oil I would make damn sure you know what you are doing. If you drained the oil, you would not need much more to fill it completely.
          There are drain plugs under there for the middle drive as well as the engine, not to mention the oil filter.
          Do you have a manual?
          Oil on your foot is a pretty good indication that something is wrong!
          Pool of oil...middle drive related.... makes one wonder what may be wrong here.
          I didn't catch the oil part of your post at 1st You have bad leak, drain plug missing, blown or loose oil filter seal or a hole in your motor
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I am an idiot

Yeah, I noticed that the vacuum line to the 4th cylinder is not capped, but it was before.

As for the oil...I am an idiot. I ASSUMED that because it was not leaking oil anymore that the engine was pretty close to empty. I drained the oil and had almost 7 quarts! I swear that I am not really that stupid, just wanted to make sure that I didn't run the engine dry and didn't even think to check the oil level first. I am pretty sure that it was the more than double capacity oil that was causing the oil spray from the PCV.
            79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that the vacuum line to the 4th cylinder is not capped, but it was before.

As for the oil...I am an idiot. I ASSUMED that because it was not leaking oil anymore that the engine was pretty close to empty. I drained the oil and had almost 7 quarts! I swear that I am not really that stupid, just wanted to make sure that I didn't run the engine dry and didn't even think to check the oil level first. I am pretty sure that it was the more than double capacity oil that was causing the oil spray from the PCV.
              ............what happens in Cantafordya stays in Cantafordya........oopppss, too late.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Don't feel bad, back in the early 80s on my 79 SF I did my oil in a hurry, bought as I still do from Yamaha by the case. How I do not know, again I do not know, wanted to get to my watering hole. Half way there 2 mi. I see blue smoke behind me, get there smoking. Turned around and went home smoking went to drain the oil and all this oil came out close to double. Put in the correct amount and went back. All was well after.
                76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                80 XS650 G Special II
                https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                80 XS 1100 SG
                81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

There is no PCV on these bikes, just a cranckase breather, so if its disconnected from the airbox it would be a good idea to put a breather filter on.
                  1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                  1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                  1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                  1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                  1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

spayne83. You say the bike will run with choke until it gets warm then will only run at half throttle at or above 4000 rpm. If this is true what you have a plugged up pilot circuits in the carbs. Your pilot circuit runs from idle to about 3500-4000 rpms then after that your main jet takes over to redline. Theres some tech tips on how to clean carbs. Pretty basic on all years of our bikes and can be used on most carbs from small engine dirt bikes and atv's as they are all more less the same. You have your started circuit which is your choke. Then you have your pilot circuit which is your pilot jet. It sits down in a hole next to your main jet. That pilot jet has a very small hole at the tip of it. They usually get gummed up from old gas. That hole is smaller then a sewing needle to give you a idea. Anyways take the carbs off and the float bowls. You'll see your main jet sticking out. If you look right next to it inside a hole you'll see your pilot jet. Just make sure you use a good tipped screw driver that fit's it tight. Cause most times they are in there real tight or just been in there for long time and a pain to get out and you don't want to strip the head cause then your left having to use a easy out and ruining your jet just to get it out. Look at some of the tech tips and look at some of the pictures to get a idea of what all is inside in case you haven't been in them before. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
                    Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                    87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                    93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                    71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                    69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
                      spayne83. You say the bike will run with choke until it gets warm then will only run at half throttle at or above 4000 rpm. If this is true what you have a plugged up pilot circuits in the carbs. Your pilot circuit runs from idle to about 3500-4000 rpms then after that your main jet takes over to redline. Theres some tech tips on how to clean carbs. Pretty basic on all years of our bikes and can be used on most carbs from small engine dirt bikes and atv's as they are all more less the same. You have your started circuit which is your choke. Then you have your pilot circuit which is your pilot jet. It sits down in a hole next to your main jet. That pilot jet has a very small hole at the tip of it. They usually get gummed up from old gas. That hole is smaller then a sewing needle to give you a idea. Anyways take the carbs off and the float bowls. You'll see your main jet sticking out. If you look right next to it inside a hole you'll see your pilot jet. Just make sure you use a good tipped screw driver that fit's it tight. Cause most times they are in there real tight or just been in there for long time and a pain to get out and you don't want to strip the head cause then your left having to use a easy out and ruining your jet just to get it out. Look at some of the tech tips and look at some of the pictures to get a idea of what all is inside in case you haven't been in them before. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
                      x2 Great Descriptive Explanation, Good on Ya !!!
                      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
                        I don't know if I was clear. I have to have the choke on the whole time to keep the bike running. Even after it is warm, if I take the choke off then the bike will stumble and die even with an open throttle. I tried plugging the vacuum leak on #4 when riding and it does not seem to make a difference. So ultimately it is a matter of the carbs being dirty and needing to be cleaned? Not a matter of the carbs being out of sync or a vacuum leak? Looks like I have to do that next weekend.

One question, there is bunch of rusty parts around the carbs, so I want to take off the carbs and soak that stuff in Apple Cider Vinegar, but I saw that there are steps that you would want to do in order so that you can put it all back together correctly. I just want to know how far to disassemble to clean the external hardware before I clean the carbs?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

The only external things you can take off the carbs are the float bowls and the diaphragm tops. Each bowl and top has 4 screws hold them on. Know if you really want to be meticulous and clean the carb bodies then you have to break the set individually. Which will require the choke rod (be careful of carbs 2 and 4 as theres a really small spring and ball bearing that will fly out. After you get the choke rod out then remove the choke plunger. Then remove the top along with the diaphragm and big spring. Keep all parts separate from each carb or do one at a time. Then remove the idle mixture screw. Keep a eye out for a smalls spring, small flat washer and one really small rubber o-ring. After that remove the float bowl the float and be careful of the float posts are they can break real easy if your not careful about getting the float pin out. Then all you have to do is remove the air jet in the back of the carb and the pilot and main jets. Then what I do is take one of your top or float bowl screws and screw one into the place where the the main jet sits. This is the emulsion tube. Just screw it in a few turns and gentle tap on it. That tube should come out through the top side. And if memory serves me that screw should fit in through that hole that way you can take your 4 way screw driver and keep tapping on it till it is completely out. Just pay attention when you put it back in as there is a small set pin for it to go back in one direction only. The only thing left would be your throttle plates and stuff. But if you are careful with carb cleaner if that is what you try to use just don't spray to much around the throttle shaft seals as you don't want them to swell up. You can also use brake cleaner in those areas with good results and no worries about the seals swelling up on you. Hope this helps to give you a idea on how far you want to go. Good luck!
                          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                          X