Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Help, want to eliminate air box any suggestions ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Help, want to eliminate air box any suggestions ?

Hey Thanks for reading my post ! I love this club, sorry newbie here

Anyway, I have a 1980 XS1100 I think its a G or D model, square headlight, speedo goes to 85,etc.

I want to eliminate the air box completely and use K & N's Kit for it, comes with 4 separate filters and clamps. Here is a link to it, http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RC-0984

My question is would I have to rejet the carbs if I was to do this ? Has any ones here done this yet, if so, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Any help before I switch it would be great !! Still have like 3 weeks, so lots of time to get it right~!

Thanks GUys/Gals

Johnny V..

Yes, a rejet will probably be needed...

If you're looking for a performance increase, don't bother. It does make removing the carbs much easier (the usual reason for doing this) and some do it for looks. There's much cheaper alternatives too, so it might pay to look around. MikesXS carries some that are decent....

The stock airbox is a pretty good piece performance-wise, drop in a K&N replacement filter for the most bang-for-the-buck....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

+1 what Steve stated. If your looking for a performance increase........urban bunk. These CV carbs work the best vacuum wise using the stock air box. With a couple times removing the carbs and air box (lower portion removed along with filter, upper pulled back and DOWN out of way WITHOUT total removal) there's no reason it should take more than 15min. for carb removal, tops.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Even if you go to the XS650 forums, the people who know what they're talking about say to stick with the stock airbox if you're going to stick with the stock CV carbs. They perform best with the still air of the airbox.

FWIW, I have never deviated from the airbox. There are some people who have opinions that should be trusted. That's what these forums are for.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I did the K+N pods on one bike. The tuning hassle was incredibly tedious. Every bike I have worked on since has the air box. I refuse to install pods for other riders who want me to. There are ways of dealing with the pods but the stock box and other equipment will out perform it every time. Do what you want as it is your bike, but I would not.
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by webman64 View Post
            Hey Thanks for reading my post ! I love this club, sorry newbie here

Anyway, I have a 1980 XS1100 I think its a G or D model, square headlight, speedo goes to 85,etc.

I want to eliminate the air box completely and use K & N's Kit for it, comes with 4 separate filters and clamps. Here is a link to it, http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RC-0984

My question is would I have to rejet the carbs if I was to do this ? Has any ones here done this yet, if so, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Any help before I switch it would be great !! Still have like 3 weeks, so lots of time to get it right~!

Thanks GUys/Gals

Johnny V..

Hi again,

Ok, I got all your replies so far. Yes, the reason was mostly to make the bike look better and stuff. I think the bike is fast enough the way it is

Well, looks like its better to just keep the box and get a new filter..

Thanks for the help @

Johnny V.
            http://www.HeavenlyHerbalz.com

Comment

- - - I want to eliminate the air box completely and use K & N's Kit for it, comes with 4 separate filters and clamps. Here is a link to it, http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=RC-0984
              My question is would I have to rejet the carbs if I was to do this ? Has any ones here done this yet, if so, please let me know how it worked out for you. - - -
              Hi Johnny and welcome,
              those pods are magic. Well, the ones that MikesXS sells at half that price and have XS embossed on the endplates are magic.
              Like most folks, my XS11SG was suffering from extreme PO neglect when I got it.
              Carbs came off, got cleaned, reinstalled, repeat repeat repeat. I was so sick of the hours of labor and bloody knuckles involved in removing and replacing the airbox every carb cleaning cycle that I went to pods instead.
              And the magic? Ever since the pods went on I've not had to remove the carbs.
              I did go one size up on the main jets.
              The bike don't run any better on pods and the carbs not crudding up any more could just be a coincidence.
              I'd say try the pods if you like the look but keep the airbox safe in case you want to switch back.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Like Fred, I've had the pod filters on my bike for the majority of the time I've owned it. I also went up one size on the mains. The XJ is even tougher to remove/reinstall carbs on than the XS due to the airbox not being able to move back any further. With the pods, my bike is faster than most, but slower than some, but like you, I'm not going to worry about a couple HP plus or minus. I don't understand peoples' problems with tuning them, but it is what it is. If you are trying to wring out every single HP, then yes, the airbox is going to be the best bet, but those that don't have an absolutely perfectly tuned bike aren't going to see any better performance by keeping the stock airbox.

The thing I really love about the pod filters are the ease of remove/install, but what I REALLY love is the sound you get from them. At low RPM, it's a really throaty growl. At high RPM, they just sing to you.. I don't know if you've seen this video or not, but I love the sound as much or more than the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3geieNEGmQY
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey there Webman,

Like Marty/JetMech said, there are lots of opinions around. Figuring out WHO's opinions you want to believe may be the hard part!

I also put Pod filters on mine many a year ago because of the R&R carb hassles, but also for the styling, and then found the SOUND benefit as Tod commented as well! The better quality Pods like the XS brand that MikesXS.net sells do NOT have a restrictive mounting lip, so they don't interfere with the carbs intake bells ports and vac. slide slot. But they are mounted close to the carb's intake bell, and so with the air coming in from the SIDE, turbulence can develop. The OEM airbox has long velocity stack type tubes that extend deep into the airbox which helps straighten out the airflow before it gets to the carbs.

Because of the interfering mounting lip on the "CHEAP" EMGO brand Pods, we learned to mount them onto modified velocity stack type mounts/tubes, etc. fashioned from a variety of materials...even household plumbing supplies!
                  Others used the stock airbox velocity tubes. This has helped straighten out the airflow from the filter to the carbs, and so tuning the carbs hasn't been any kind of problem. I also had aftermarket exhausts and a big bore kit, so I went up 3 main jet sizes, but it performs just fine, starts, idles, responds to throttle and all just fine. YMMV!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

pods yes but

Ive got pods on two elevens, and have original pipes on both, but hardly muffs on the MNS. I used emgo s, the cheapo ones, dont recommend them, but they work ok. I am not the type to notice a diff of a couple hps, I put the pods on because I didnt like the r n r on the airbox. With stock pipes, I did no rejetting at all. I discovered with the emgo s, the main problem is that they are difficult to tighten on, such that they always stay on. On both bikes I have had one of them fall off onto the back of the engine, much to my chagrin. I havnt actually lost one yet, but have to be careful to tighten them just right. Better to go with the better quality ones, methinks. I like the louder air sound too.
                    Bikes Now.
                    80 MNS 11 pods,georgefix kit,stock jets, HD Sporty muffs
                    79 XS 11 Special, Emgo pods, stock jets, with Pacifico fairing, hard bags, intact stock pipes Sold
                    83 Yammi Venture with custom footboards, 20k miles.
                    83 Yammi Venture parts bike

99 Valkyrie shield and bags 37k miles like new
                    08 ZX 14 Kawa Ninja 6k miles Sold

Comment

R/I Carbs

As to R/I carbs, they are tough till you get the procedure right, then it is easy with the OEM air box, this vid shows the complete install in 5 min, and its easer to remove them then install them IMHO. Note the throttle cable hook up before putting them all the way in is a help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwfALaur7Zw
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Wow, that dude was bookin'!
                        1978 XS 1100...complete basket case = time and money!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                          As to R/I carbs, they are tough till you get the procedure right, then it is easy with the OEM air box, this vid shows the complete install in 5 min, and its easer to remove them then install them IMHO. Note the throttle cable hook up before putting them all the way in is a help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwfALaur7Zw
                          Just a note for other members that this video is listed under the forums maintenance section so it is easy to find.
                          I did not say that the pods were impossible to tune just tedious. A good running bike can be done, I just won't do it again. This set of video's made me think that stock air boxes were just fine.
                          Best time so far for just the carb and air box R+R (not including fuel lines, tank, seat and all that crap) is just over 4 minutes. I do not see the advantage of the pods when I can do it as fast and easy as that.
                          Pods sound great...Look bitchin... You can see which carb is leaking...BUT!
                          They fall off at some point on almost every riders bike, should have a support on them so the weight is not all on the carb boots, are more expensive to buy (at least the K+N's are), tend to make the wind blow off the side covers, seem to require re-jetting on most rides, shrink if gas gets to the rubber portions (K+N will warranty this), you have to purchase/install separate filters on the breather lines (older carbs), make fuel line routing and inline filter installation a bit harder, on specials are harder to fit fuel lines to petcocks, when they are shiny new they look cool but once a bit dirty (when they are at their best for filtration) look bad, and then there is the whole question of whether to run velocity stacks to improve performance and all that stuff and some report wet riding conditions affect the pods (I have yet to find this to be a fact), and any order of other things that members have listed over the years.
                          Any one who is running pods and having good luck has worked on them and answered questions about the above listed problems. That or they have left a good deal of performance and economy on the table.
                          Any who run the stock air box do not have these issues. I do see the need on an XJ as those air box buggers are hard to deal with at the best of times.
                          It is a personal choice and kudo's to those who will spend the time and effort to get it right as many have done. It is your bike and it only needs to please you so do what you think is best and have fun.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Hi, Guys, I think I am going to go with the Conversion

Gonna go ahead and do this for cosmetic and access reasons.

I will need to get 4 new main jets correct ? What would they be in size I would need and would the actual needle settings be the same on each carb ?

If so, what size would I need ?

thanks guys 4 all your help

Johnny V,

Comment

Gonna go ahead and do this for cosmetic and access reasons.

I will need to get 4 new main jets correct ? What would they be in size I would need and would the actual needle settings be the same on each carb ?

If so, what size would I need ?

thanks guys 4 all your help

Johnny V,
                              Well to answer this question we need to know for sure what model bike you have and if you do have an '80 they we need to know which type of carbs you have since '80 was a switch year and there are a couple types.

Also what other mods you have.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X