#2 carb leaking on 78 standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #2 carb leaking on 78 standard

My #2 carb is dumping gas out of its pod filter when the bike sits (petcocks need to be repaired, they flow gas at all times, no matter the settings).

New float valves and seats, new bowl gaskets. I've had them apart twice to make sure the valves are installed correctly. Float is good, tested it in boiled water. Float levels were not adjusted and the bike runs smooth and strong. I assume the float is sticking?

Running out of patience and ideas.
    78 E

Make sure the gasket isnt catching the float.
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Gasket

alot of people here have had the bowl gasket being too big on the inside and causing the float to stick, if so that is as easy as taking off the bowls and triming the gasket so the floats clear with no hang ups. have you tried tapping the side of the bowl to see if that frees the stuck float. i had one of my floats sticking and tapped it a few times and have never had a problem with it since. also make sure that the floats are moving freely.
      xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
        alot of people here have had the bowl gasket being too big on the inside and causing the float to stick, if so that is as easy as taking off the bowls and triming the gasket so the floats clear with no hang ups. have you tried tapping the side of the bowl to see if that frees the stuck float. i had one of my floats sticking and tapped it a few times and have never had a problem with it since. also make sure that the floats are moving freely.
        Floats all move freely. I did tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle before coming in from the garage today, ill update this tomorrow with whether or not there is fresh gas on the floor.

I like the idea of pulling the bowl and trimming the gasket's inside edge.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Love how fast this board moves.
        78 E

Comment

Originally posted by GoRacers View Post
          Floats all move freely. I did tap the bowl with a screwdriver handle before coming in from the garage today, ill update this tomorrow with whether or not there is fresh gas on the floor.

I like the idea of pulling the bowl and trimming the gasket's inside edge.

Thanks for the ideas so far. Love how fast this board moves.
          If you've got that much fuel on the floor better check the engine oil level and make sure the crankcase isn't filling up with fuel and thinning out the oil.
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

You can also carefully bend the float bulbs slightly inward so there is no chance of them catching on the side of the bowl/gasket. You might want to also make sure that the thin fiber washer under the needle seat is not damaged and leaking.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Tiny bit of fuel on the floor this morning, not sure if it is the accumulation from yesterday finally dripping down off the case, or if it is fresh. I'll see if there is more when I get home from work.

Originally posted by Schming View Post
              If you've got that much fuel on the floor better check the engine oil level and make sure the crankcase isn't filling up with fuel and thinning out the oil.
              Once I finish finding and fixing the leak, I'll change the oil.

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              You can also carefully bend the float bulbs slightly inward so there is no chance of them catching on the side of the bowl/gasket. You might want to also make sure that the thin fiber washer under the needle seat is not damaged and leaking.
              I will probably try that when I take them back off to check the gaskets. I'll look at the washer also.

Thanks everybody.
              78 E

Comment

Floats

Did I read correctly that the floats weren't adjusted?
                mack
                79 XS 1100 SF Special
                HERMES
                original owner
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                SPICA
                http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                IOTA
                https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                Frankford, Ont, Canada
                613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                  Did I read correctly that the floats weren't adjusted?
                  I did not adjust them. The bike runs great before and after, so I figured I didn't need to touch them.
                  78 E

Comment

Floats

My money is on #2 needs to have the float height adjusted up.(so when flipped over it will shut the fuel flow off sooner) All manufactured items arent identical. It's a good habit to get into when working on these bikes to check everything back to spec when interchanging parts. Be it from another bike or over the counter OEM or NOS stuff. So much is made in Tiwan or China where quality control is non existant. If the floats are brass set the to 25.7mm (from the gasket surface w/o the gasket installed)to start then adjust up until the leak test shows it's at the right height.The other issue you'll find that if the brass floats are originals, they may have been repaired a time or two so the boyancy and symatry may be off a bit as well.
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                      My money is on #2 needs to have the float height adjusted up.(so when flipped over it will shut the fuel flow off sooner) All manufactured items arent identical. It's a good habit to get into when working on these bikes to check everything back to spec when interchanging parts. Be it from another bike or over the counter OEM or NOS stuff. So much is made in Tiwan or China where quality control is non existant. If the floats are brass set the to 25.7mm (from the gasket surface w/o the gasket installed)to start then adjust up until the leak test shows it's at the right height.The other issue you'll find that if the brass floats are originals, they may have been repaired a time or two so the boyancy and symatry may be off a bit as well.
                      Great points there.

Ill adjust the float heights and trim the gaskets tomorrow, before i watch golf.
                      78 E

Comment

Ran it for 2-3 minutes today, no leak so far. Ill see if it leajs any overnight.

The float looked like it was rubbing the bowl, and all four were set almost 1/4" high.

Need to change the oil and ride it now.
                        78 E

Comment

No more leaks! Thanks guys.
                          78 E

Comment

Working...
                          X