Clutch Nut removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Nut removal

Hi all, I am trying to remove the clutch nut but it won't budge. I have tried an impact wrench and stepping on the brake and using a pipe at the end of my ratchet. Now I am beginning to wonder if it is reverse threaded. Is it? If not, how do I get the darn thing off? Thanks

pshaw, of course you have flattened the washer down.(?)

Silly question.

Now place a broom handle or 2X4 through the spokes of the rear wheel under the swingarm.

Then shift into 5th gear.

Warm the nut slightly with a propoane torch. Don't light the bike on fire.

Remove the nut in the usual lefty-loosey fashion.

I hope this helps.

Randy.

Comment

Sorry. Forgot to mention:

You need a loooong breaker bar. If you're trying to do it with a ratchet, you're going to break your arm. That nut is torqued to (or should be) 51 ft/lbs.

Randy

Comment

I do have the washer flattened and I am using a long bar. I have tried heating the nut, but when I try to loosen it the clutch slips. Is there a way to stop that? Thanks

Comment

If you don't have access to an air compressor, and impact gun, then quite often a hard, sharp blow to the end of the ratchet handle will break the nut loose. Don't strike on the long bar, the force from the blow will just be absorbed by the bar. Good luck.

Comment

one or maybe two shots with the air impact usually knocks mine loose
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Originally posted by pshaw
              I do have the washer flattened and I am using a long bar. I have tried heating the nut, but when I try to loosen it the clutch slips. Is there a way to stop that? Thanks
              Sounds like you don't have it in gear!? Like the others said, put it in 5th, that way the rear wheel has much more leverage over the turning clutch housing, yes it will turn a little, but you will eventually get to the breaking point of the nut, as was mentioned, it is torqued on there to 51 ft lbs, maybe more!? Also you could try spraying some penetrating lube around it, heat it up, bang it with a hammer to get the penetrating oil to soak in, just be careful where you bang. It will come off.
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks guys

Thanks guys. It finally came off. I soaked it with penetrating oil over night, hit it with a hammer, polished all of the chrome and aluminum on the bike, and walla, it came off. Now to see whats is really wrong with the transmission. Thanks again for the support.

Comment

Working...
                X