No announcement yet.

Shopping list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as you're not running the bike in temps below 40 F, 20W40 or 20W50 should be ok. Yeah, it might be a bit sluggish on starting...

Once temps hit 60, definitely use 20W....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sounds good. Thanks again.
      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Facts

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
        Yamaha never recommended 10W oil for these bikes when new (except in cold temps) and it's not a particularly good idea to run it. Yes, it can improve shifting but the downside is poorer oil retention between the pistons/bores. This can lead to piston scuffing, and in extreme cases skirt failure (and a dead motor).

Stick with 20W40 or 20W50. A 15W40 can be used, but I personally wouldn't recommend it....
        Got any facts / prof to back any of that up, besides IYHO. I know a great deal about oil, more then I ever wanted too, due to many factors. I don't mean about what did Yamaha recommend 30 years ago when oil tech was nothing, just your claims that 10w40 harms our motors, or any motors for that matter, I am sure it is JIYHO, as I have never seen any evadance to your claim, but, JIMHO
        1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
        1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Oil

+ I was recommending it to "clear" out the friction reducing (if he had used it, and he says he has not) I was not recommending light oil for long time operation, although, it would do no harm, unless you have evadance otherwise? Love to see your prof, not intreseted in your opinion on oil, "opinions very"
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Oil

Just what the real experts say I am not one, so I just listen to them

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ont%2fmct.aspx
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Well, let's talk about the Amsoil link first....

APPLICATIONS
              AMSOIL 10W-30 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil is recommended for liquid- or air-cooled four-stroke motorcycles, scooters, ATVs and UTVs requiring an SAE 10W-30 fluid
              Hmmm... doesn't say anything about substituting it for 20W40 or 20W50.

Next, where are you getting your 'recommendation' of 10W40? If this is what Yamaha is currently recommending, did it ever cross your mind that they're product whores and want to sell you what they have on the shelf? Do you think they actually tested in a XS motor? Or care about the longevity of a 30+ year old bike? If you believe any of that, wanna buy a bridge?....

This is rarely a problem because few people try running the lower-viscosity oil, but I have personally seen it done. And a dead motor was the result. This was discussed at length (with pictures) on a HD forum I used to hang out at, but unfortunately that forum is now defunct, so the posts are no longer available. But here's what it amounts to....

Air-cooled motors are notorious for uneven cooling, and there's the difficulty of maintaining good piston/ring clearances over all operating temperatures. They generally need to be run 'looser' than a equivalent water-cooled motor for just this reason. Now as a general rule, looser clearances need thicker oil; if the viscosity is too low, the thinner oil will 'run out' of the area to be lubricated. This isn't a major issue for most items that have pressure lubrication, but for parts that are 'splash' lubricated (such as the rings/pistons), if the oil runs off too quickly you'll have problems.

All oils thin out as their temp goes up (in spite of erroneous information you'll find multiple places; don't believe me, get a viscometer and check for yourself) and oil temps in the XS motor will go up and down with the ambient temp. Which is why Yamaha originally (and correctly) recommended a 'cold' weight and a 'warm' weight oil. In colder temps, the thinner oil will flow better but still retain enough viscosity to 'stick' to the splash-lubed parts.

Another thing to remember is metallurgy and machining processes have improved since the XS/XJ bikes were built, which is two reasons why these thinner oils can be used in modern motors.

Run what you want in your bike, but I'll stick with 20W oil thank you. In fact, if the XS didn't share oil with the trans/clutch, I'd run even heavier oil as I've seen test results that showed superior piston/ring lubrication on these older-type motors...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

As much as I hate to.....gonna have to go with Steve's input on this subject. My Venturer has had nothing but 20/50w in it.....forever, even back in the day when it sat outside in -25 degree weather(nothing some blankets and a heat lamp all nite didn't resolve). Gotta remember, specially if garage kept like mine has been for a few decades now, outside temps have little association pertaining to internal temps of that air-cooled motor once up and running.........20/50w yr. round and I don't play the viscosity change game cause of winter temps.......JMO, and has worked for 30+yrs. with no issues.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

my Yamaha manual for the bike,recommends 10-40 for winter,I think under 70 degree's,and 20-50 for summer.
                  FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                  1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                  1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Just priced a full set of stainless lines from Chakal. $324

Think Ill be shopping around for a while.
                    Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                    81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Ok so far I have this ordered -

Clutch Springs
                      Motion Pro Tool
                      Lever Boots (realized late last night I didnt need them so they are for sale :P )
                      TC Bros Forward Controls, linkage kit and Levers that I can chop up for the controls.
                      Exhaust Gaskets
                      Kuryakyn Iso Grips
                      Kuryakyn Trident Mirror
                      Brake Boot
                      Seals and Dust Covers

Still looking for SS brake lines are arent crazy expensive.
                      Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                        Ok so far I have this ordered -

Clutch Springs
                        Motion Pro Tool
                        Lever Boots (realized late last night I didnt need them so they are for sale :P )
                        TC Bros Forward Controls, linkage kit and Levers that I can chop up for the controls.
                        Exhaust Gaskets
                        Kuryakyn Iso Grips
                        Kuryakyn Trident Mirror
                        Brake Boot
                        Seals and Dust Covers

Still looking for SS brake lines are arent crazy expensive.

I found stainless lines on ebay for less than HALF of what others are getting. Ill dig up the link.

Also, where did you find the taillight/blinkers?? I would love to replace my rattly taillight and stupid wide blinkers.

Also, Walmart has Motorcycle oil (valvoline) for very reasonable. Probably less than the Castrol. I picked up a TON last summer and I think I better stock up again.

Also, I'm thinking of replacing my Cam chain. Let me know if you wanna go in on a chain breaker.

Unless someone still has one on here for the price of shipping?? I saw a thread a long time ago..
                        1) Fire up Internet Explorer
                        2) http://www.yahoo.com
                        3) type "www.mapquest.com" into the Yahoo search page.
                        4) go about day as VP managing multi-million dollar financial contracts.

Comment

I got ss lines off eBay from a seller named coastguard. The angles on the ends were all straight rather than offset like they should be, but they worked still, just a small bit off effort to hook them up.

Cost was around $80 with a double banjo bolt for the splitter in the front.
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights
                          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines
                          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I ended up ordering Galfer front lines and may pick up the one piece rear from Chacal. I cant seem to find any other rears around.

Dave, I didnt find any replacement lights for the rear yet. Im probably going to order the stuff for the HID upgrade today.
                            Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                            81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Just ordered the stuff TC and DGXSER recommended for the HID upgrade.
                              Nate

K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                              81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Cuda 69 View Post
                                my Yamaha manual for the bike,recommends 10-40 for winter,I think under 70 degree's,and 20-50 for summer.
                                Thanks Cuda, "facts" was all I was looking for
                                1980 XS1100 Special
                                1990 V Max
                                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                                X