Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Diaphragm's Seized

Hi all,

I've been utilizing the write-up on the carb cleaning procedures. It's helped nicely so far. My 78 has been sitting for a very long time before I got it, and the diaphragm slides are seized in the carb bodies. Any ideas on how to get them out without tearing the diaphragm (which inspecting in this poor condition do not look torn or see through yet). I've sprayed liberally with PB Blaster and applied gentle pressure.

Thanks,
    Lee
    1978 XS 1100...complete basket case = time and money!

Your saying the slides are seized up in the carb throats? I would say that you will need to keep soaking it with PB Blaster. If after a few days of soaking and gently tapping on the slide it still does not free up, I would then use some wood blocking on the carb throat and pry on the bottom of the slide with a screw driver or similar device.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

You might try using carb cleaner as opposed to PB blaster. It could be gummed with old gas varnish type stuff and the carb cleaner may be more effective.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I've managed to free 2 up. I will keep soaking.

I wish people took better care of stuff. They've been sitting for so long the old fuel has eaten a lot. The screw over the needle on one of them was eaten through the threads. It was laying in the bowl. All but one of the floats look collapsed. I may be just looking to swap out the carbs all together.

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Just tried boiling with vinegar. Both outside sliders are still frozen. I guess I will pick up some Chem-Dip tomorrow and let the rack soak for a couple of days.

Comment

Originally posted by XSive-11 View Post
            Just tried boiling with vinegar. Both outside sliders are still frozen. I guess I will pick up some Chem-Dip tomorrow and let the rack soak for a couple of days.
            If you go said route be prepared to replace the butterfly shaft seals also, as they won't fare well under the dip for too long.
            IMHO a carb rebuild isn't complete without replacing them.
            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by XSive-11 View Post
              Buy a can of spray carb cleaner and keep spraying them once in the morning and once at night. They will free up eventually. Mine were just like yours; so I don't know what type of gas we were using!! My buddy Phil's on the other hand sat even longer than mine, and were prisitine when he pulled them apart, the *******.
              Spray spray spray, and be patient. My float jet needles were frozen in their seats and I had to soak them too, but the viton didn't get phased by the spary cleaner. I sprayed about a 1/4" of the spray carb cleaner into the bottom of a small tincan and let them soak for abut 2 days, then gently tapped the needle jet out of it's body with a tiny drift and key word was GENTLY. Came out fine, then cleaned them up by hand with q-tips etc. Patience grasshopper, you WILL win.
              Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

I could try that too. I would have thought soaking would penetrate around the slides better than spraying around the two sides I can get too. I'm up to try anything though. Thanks for the help. Will update after I try these two methods (whichever works first lol).

Comment

You can lift the diaphragm rubbers and spray in from the top side as well. Any position that will get the carb cleaner to the affected areas. Do not let the diaphragm rubbers soak in the carb cleaner though as I have had it damage them. That could have been a problem earlier with those diaphragm rubbers that got worse due to the cleaner but caution is advised.
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                  X