Rattle can Resto -Well here it is minus the exhaust - ready for pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle can Resto -Well here it is minus the exhaust - ready for pics

So here is the finished rattle can resto minus the exhaust, and factory mirrors. Let's hope it's good enough for collector plates.

And this is what I started with.

Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Awesome work!! Looks great!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

looks phenomenal. a great resto.

what did you end up doing with that standard tank? i'm looking for one.
      Last edited by Shockman54; 03-31-2013, 06:14 PM.
      1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
      progress thus far...
      http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

Very sharp! Attention to detail and elbow grease are wonderful things!

I would check your throttle cable routing, it should be above the headlight ear; what you have might cause issues....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Very sharp! Attention to detail and elbow grease are wonderful things!

I would check your throttle cable routing, it should be above the headlight ear; what you have might cause issues....
          Thanks for pointing that out Steve; it's just a mockup for the photos I have to send in, but you're right, that needs to be moved to make it look more authentic. It's not even hooked up. The brakes are also non-functional, as they are empty of fluid in prep for full rebuild.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Looking good, Court! Now I just need to make progress on mine.
            Come get my mirrors when you want to do the photo op.
            1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Great job!! Made for twice the work to remove the spray can paint? Even though the stuff out of a can is not super durable its time consuming to remove from every crack and crevice. Good save!

Comment

Yes, for the most part acetone or lacquer thinner removed it where I could get to it. In the major areas, I bought the Rustoleum aluminum Engine Paint as recommended on here and sprayed the engine. Excellent color match, and it's gas/oil resistant. I thought it turned out great. Here are the pics that I sent in for the collector plates with the bike put together.

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                  Yes, for the most part acetone or lacquer thinner removed it where I could get to it. In the major areas, I bought the Rustoleum aluminum Engine Paint as recommended on here and sprayed the engine. Excellent color match, and it's gas/oil resistant. I thought it turned out great. Here are the pics that I sent in for the collector plates with the bike put together.

Nice work Good luck with the Gov. don't ya just love the Gov. telling you what you can ride and what you will pay him to ride Good luck with your bike, looks great
                  1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                  1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Yep Gov't insurance has some benefits, but NOT motorcycles. B.C. gov't hates us for some reason. Rasputin said he pays peanuts compared to what I pay next door here in B.C.

Comment

8 bucks

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                      Yep Gov't insurance has some benefits, but NOT motorcycles. B.C. gov't hates us for some reason. Rasputin said he pays peanuts compared to what I pay next door here in B.C.
                      I pay 8 bucks a month here in SW florida
                      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                      1980 XS1100 Special
                      1990 V Max
                      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Once you have the collector designation, do you have to keep sending pictures to show you've kept it the same way, or can you change it after after you get the classic plates (not that you'd want to undo all the work you've just finished, just wondering).
                        Guy

1980 XS1100G - Frankenstein - resurrected from the impound lot
                        1991 Suzuki GS500E (not running yet)
                        2003 Burgman AN400 - Blue Belle
                        2005 Burgman AN400 - Silver Belle

Comment

Originally posted by Petersg_99 View Post
                          Once you have the collector designation, do you have to keep sending pictures to show you've kept it the same way, or can you change it after after you get the classic plates (not that you'd want to undo all the work you've just finished, just wondering).
                          No once you've got the plate you're good. The caveat is however, if you do modify it (ridiculously of course) from original and are in an accident, they CAN and apparently WILL void your insurance on the spot. NOT cool if you have to pay out $$$ for an accident/injury which as we all know can run into millions thanks to the low class blood sucking bottom feeder litigation lawyers out there. , except for MY lawyer of course who is a great guy.

Comment

Working...
                          X