Another strange oil usage thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another strange oil usage thread.

I have read a bunch of the threads on this subject, but i have one that is a bit baffling to me. I recently noticed that after running the bike hard for quite awhile, which is about 100 miles, i am using almost a quart of oil. I am aware that these bikes will use some oil, especially at higher RPM'S. I figured this may be the reason, but it has gotten worse. I keep an eye on it closely, and fill it when i fuel up on rides. Yesterday i went for a cruise of about 140 miles. We never went above 60, and most of the time were below 50. When i got home i realized this morning that i was down a quart. This had happened since the last fuel stop which was about 90 miles prior. I have asked several riders behind me about smoke, including one from yesterday. They all have reported no smoking. My exhaust outlets are dry, and as clean as they have ever been. There has been no leaks from the bike for 4 months since i fixed the valve cover gasket. I thought about valve stem seals, and i know it probably needs them, but there should be some sign of smoke or something with the amount it is using. I pulled a plug to check it, and it looked normal, maybe a bit rich, but not bad. I am thinking i should go back to the basics, and do the valves again, compression check, timing, synch, and adjust. Any other thoughts?
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Well, the first question to ask is, how are you checking the oil? The bike must be on flat ground on the centerstand or level side-to-side to get an accurate check. If checking while on the side stand, you're overfilling it and it will blow the 'extra' oil out...

The other thing is what viscosity oil are you using? You'll get a lot of opinions, but these bikes generally don't like 10W or 15W weight oils. Again as a general rule, you'll get the least oil consumption with 20W40 or 20W50.

Oil brand can make a difference; my personal experience is paraffin-based oils (Pennzoil, Quaker State) break down faster leading to oil use.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I had a similar experience once between Wichita and Denver. I checked it level on level ground and I had nearly a quart disappear. It was Mobil 1 synthetic (I won't ever use it again for other reasons). Never had the problem since.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

oil consumption?

and WHEN are you checking the oil level? unless my '80 special is cold my oil level in the sight glass always reads low. it takes some time for all the oil to drain back into the sump but when cold it always shows correctly. I now use yamalube 10w-40 and am having great success with the stuff. was having some clunky shifting issues a while back that I thought were oil related so I switched to a synthetic blend. no go. turned out to be the clutch cable and clutch adjustment. installed a new cable, correctly adjusted the clutch, and no more problems. now it shifts like a "brand new" Russian tractor

Comment

When it comes to engine oil, use the one you like best, avoid the "ENERGY CONSERVING" label, and make sure it's the slippery kind.

The are many valuable opinions on this subject, but there are as many different ones as there are types and brands of engine oil.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

I do have it on level ground, and on the center stand. I use 20w50 castrol gtx for oil, and have been for three years. I might go back to valvoline, and check it.
            1980 XS1100LG Midnight

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Comment

Well, it's not the checking or the oil....

Sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Running that much oil into the combustion chamber would almost have to cause smoking I would think. If you changed the filter, make sure you don't have a leak around the housing, then start looking at the usual suspects (drain plug, cam chain tensioner, cam cover, etc) although those will tend to leave a trail.
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

You know, if the oil is leaking out of the engine, it would have to show up on anything in back of the engine. Tire, wheel, brake assembly, fender, and should be easy to spot.
                If it is going past the intake guides, it should spew smoke after opening the throttle after a long downhill deceleration in gear and the throttle closed.
                If it is rings, the plugs should show a "wet" appearance.
                So a good visual inspection would be the first order of the day. Clean the tire and rear end thoroughly, and then go ride, and when you get back, re-inspect everything. If it doesn't show any thing, then you probably have some internal problems. A pounce bag with flour in it will show anyplace that has an oil film on it, or a wipe with your fingers will usually let you know if oil has been deposited.
                Good luck, CZ

ps Check the oil level in the middle drive and final drive.

Comment

Hey what if the exhaust valve seals are bad and most of the oil is getting down the pipe before it can get into the cylinder ? Do the pipes smell like burnt oil?Just a thought.
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Don't forget about the crankshaft seals. There's a vent on the left timing cover that would drop down and not necessarily get much on the bike, and also the right galley plug under the ALT cover...there's an Oring on that plug, it can get hard and leak also...again dripping out of the ALT cover. I found mine thinking it was my SOFA that had finally sprung a leak....pulled the SOFA off only to find the seal intact, then saw the trail of oil from the right side up to the ALT cover. You can either replace the O-ring on that plug, or tap and plug it with a threaded plug! IF it's your crankshaft seals, you'll need to replace them of course. Happy Hunting the leak!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Still looking for the leak, or whatever. No signs of oil leakage so far. Had a rear main leak one time that would only lose oil when running down the road.
                      Terry: The exhaust is dry. Maybe i will pull the exhaust off, and look at the head pipes.
                      1980 XS1100LG Midnight

Comment

Mine does the same thing, it's the valve guide seals.
                        1978 XS1100E
                        1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                        2001 Yamaha XT225
                        2002 Suzuki DR650
                        2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                        AMA charter life member

Comment

Working...
                        X