Simplified wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplified wiring

I am trying to remove all of the parts of the electrical system that I don't need, but the wiring diagram is hard to decipher especially without knowing what black magic happens inside those relays.

So I am trying to remove the Light Checker Unit, the Flasher Cancelling Unit and the Reserve Lighting Unit. I'm following the tech tip for the RLU, but there is not much that I can find as far as actually removing the LCU and the FCU.

Light Checker Unit:

From what I can see, the oil/brake light gets power from the green wire at the RLU and the rear Tail Light gets power at the LCU from the L/Y wire from the main switch. So from my thinking I should be able to jumper the L and the L/Y at the LCU and potentially even tie in the G wire from the RLU, because that is power when the main switch is turned on.

Flasher Cancelling Unit:

The R/Y wire gives ground to the unit when the flashers are turned on (the turn signal connections box show it connected to ground when the flashers are on). The G/Y wire gives power to the flasher realy which passes that to the Br/W wire which supplies that power to the Chocolate and Green wires depending on which flasher is on. Then the G/W is to the reed switch which shuts off the blinkers after a certain amt of distance. So what I am thinking is that I can cut off all those wires and just go to a two prong flasher relay.

I just want to make sure that I am reading this correctly before I go hacking at my wiring harness again.
    79 SF 3H3 Engine, 145/45 Mikuni Jets, El Cheapo Pod Filter Mod w/ EMGO Pods, Coil Repower w/ Dyna Coils, Accell Wires and Side Gapped Plugs, 78 Mech Advance, 4-2 Turnouts

Originally posted by spayne83 View Post
    Light Checker Unit:

From what I can see, the oil/brake light gets power from the green wire at the RLU and the rear Tail Light gets power at the LCU from the L/Y wire from the main switch. So from my thinking I should be able to jumper the L and the L/Y at the LCU and potentially even tie in the G wire from the RLU, because that is power when the main switch is turned on.
    Tie the blue/yellow and blue at the checker together for the taillight, you can ignore the rest. For the canceller unit, just unplug it; the turns will work without it. Simply install a 2-prong flasher (or you can leave the stock one in place if it's good).

As far as hacking the harness, I wouldn't. Any weight saving will be about zero (a matter of ounces), and if you ever want to return to stock, the wires will be there....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...