Two parts interchange questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two parts interchange questions

Working on my "new" 1978 Standard (E). Have some '79 Special parts that I'm wondering about.

1. Can I put shocks from the Special on the Standard?

2. Read the Interchange Guide re: exhaust. My question is whether or not I can use the headers of the Special to mount Harley mufflers on the Standard. Will there be a difference in the length of the flange at the head.

Thanks once again for your help.

Aches n Pains
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
    Working on my "new" 1978 Standard (E). Have some '79 Special parts that I'm wondering about.

1. Can I put shocks from the Special on the Standard?

2. Read the Interchange Guide re: exhaust. My question is whether or not I can use the headers of the Special to mount Harley mufflers on the Standard. Will there be a difference in the length of the flange at the head.
    The shocks interchange no problem. As to the exhaust, yes the Special flanges will be shorter so the exhaust studs on the motor will be too long, although this can be fairly easily addressed. The other issue will be the collectors and heat shields; they angle 'up' on the Special and will hit the cast aluminum mounts on the standard frame. Not so easy to fix and get a good 'fit'. Not impossible, but you'll likely need to mod both the collectors and shields...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks, Steve. Really was hoping I could use the headers. Oh, well .....
      1995 KZ100P
      Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
      Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

I am sure you could still use the headers. I had enough studs and nut screwed up from corrosion I just bought some Allen head cap screws of the same size and length and use those instead of the studs and nuts.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Working...
        X