Carb Adjustment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Adjustment help

i took my carbs off for cleaning and i seen that the air screw was all screwed up one was at 1 turn open another 2 turns and another 1.5 turns and one 3 turns.. i was wondering what is the correct setting for that screw? i usually go with a turn and a half (1.5) on my ski-doos and atvs but this is a 4stoke so im not sure if it is different.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG Midnight Special

First off, this pilot screw is an enrichening screw to compensate for those bitty holes in the tops of the carb throat. i.e. Screwing them colockwise slows the rate of fuel. This is mainly for idle range rpms before the main jet needles really take over. I wouldn't adjust those unless your spark plugs are showing the need and I do that at about 1500 rpms to keep the battery from draining down. I also wouldn't adjust them unless you have done a vacuum synch at 1500 rpms because that will have an affect on richness if vacuum adjustment is significant. Of course all bets are off if your carbs need cleaning.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

P.S. 1.5 is a good starting point if everything is stock and maybe a bit more is needed for the 80 model.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by captjanes View Post
        i took my carbs off for cleaning and i seen that the air screw was all screwed up one was at 1 turn open another 2 turns and another 1.5 turns and one 3 turns.. i was wondering what is the correct setting for that screw? i usually go with a turn and a half (1.5) on my ski-doos and atvs but this is a 4stoke so im not sure if it is different.
        What skids says is right about the mixture screws being mainly for closed throttle/idle fuel flow. Properly adjusted they will usually differ from carb to carb because except in a pefect world, all carbs will be a little different and all cylinders will have slightly different requirements.

1 1/2 - 2 turns is a good place to start but will require individual adjustment to dial each one in. I use my guages on my sync tool to do that. A bit complicated to begin with but really quite simple once you learn the proceedure.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          First off, this pilot screw is an enrichening screw to compensate for those bitty holes in the tops of the carb throat. i.e. Screwing them colockwise slows the rate of fuel. This is mainly for idle range rpms before the main jet needles really take over. I wouldn't adjust those unless your spark plugs are showing the need and I do that at about 1500 rpms to keep the battery from draining down. I also wouldn't adjust them unless you have done a vacuum synch at 1500 rpms because that will have an affect on richness if vacuum adjustment is significant. Of course all bets are off if your carbs need cleaning.
          So Skids, totally rebuilt my carbs; what is a good starting point to put the mixture screws at for starters? I synched the carbs via setting the butterflies half way over the 2nd hole in the throats as per the suggestion on this site.
          Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

If your idle isn't too high with that method, you can try and adjust the idle screws at 1.5 to 2 turns. You may need to repeat the process if you didn't use mercury manometers or gages. Your vacuum created by the engine may not be equal from cyl to cyl.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

As many

have said 1.5 -2 turns for the idle mixute screw is a starting point after the carbs have been bench sync'd. The bike will start right up and a modest idle screw adjustment to keep it running at 1050-1100 rpm. A guage or vacum sync should be next, to adjust individual carbs to your valves. It will smooth out at this point. Re-adjust your idle back down to 1050-1100 range the ride it for a bit with tach in all ranges, 100 miles or so. Then take a look at your plugs and adjust the idle mixture screws accordingly. then re-sync. Next.... ride the crap out of it.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

I agree. If you got it running half-ways descent, ride it. You might even consider using some fuel system cleaner while you do that, like Techron or Seafoam.a Take an extra plug and a wrench just in case.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Working...
                X