butterfly screws and other carb parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• butterfly screws and other carb parts

well tonight is the night that i decide to clean the carbs. first problem is that one choke plunger is bad (rubber eaten up), next problem is the damn butterfly screws... first two carbs were no problem.. now I need at least 4 butterfly screws. what is the best way to get them out when the heads have already stripped, third problem..... vent tee is buggered up and need one of those too..
    Anyone have any of these parts please let me know... atleast I have other things i can do while i wait.... the bike is starting to take after Harley and I have to stop that...lol

Thanks,
    Shawn
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Try www.motorcyclecarbs.com for your carb parts.
    Last edited by nashville_bill; 03-24-2004, 07:41 AM.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Carbs

Shawn, why bother taking the butterflys out, if the shaft seals arnt leaking i never disturb them, personally ive cleaned up and sold about 30 bikes in my day and havent taken any butterflys out yet. If you clean up all the jets and assoiated galleries and set the floats you should be fine. Hope you get her back together soon ........MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: Carbs

If you are using a non-rubber-friendly carb dip solution, you do need to take out the seals for the throttle plate shafts, otherwise they will be "frozen." I prefer the gumout spray clean method and remove all of the brass and diaphragms when I do that. I get good results.

Originally posted by mitch
        Shawn, why bother taking the butterflys out, if the shaft seals arnt leaking i never disturb them, personally ive cleaned up and sold about 30 bikes in my day and havent taken any butterflys out yet. If you clean up all the jets and assoiated galleries and set the floats you should be fine. Hope you get her back together soon ........MITCH
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

cleaner

Yup Skids i use a spray combustion cleaner and do the same as you works well, and lots of compressed air......MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

last time i did the full total tear down was 7 years ago. then i found out about the seals the hard way. last time i cleaned them was 3 years ago, then i used carb cleaner. the shaft seals are leaking, and i already have new ones to install.
            It is good to be a pack rat sometimes.. I found a replacement choke plunger, 2 floats, and replacement shafts in a spare parts box. i got the last 3 screws out using craftsman's handy dandy damaged screw extracter set... was worth the $20
            now i just have to order the new screws from Robert and a new vent "T" I hate paying $40 for the "t" but gotta have it. just wish i could do all four at once , but have to get a petcock kit first
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Fuel Ts

Check out Mikes XS part number 48-0884. It appears to be the coated T that goes between the carbs for $15 ea.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
              X